Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    I recall seeing a Tann variant of what you mention although they were more side by side. Basically it was two large Tann Bankers safes stuck together (ok a bit more to it than that !) so that unit must have tipped the scales around the 4 ton mark.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Double Bankers 1.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	20981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Double Bankers 2.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	20982 Just as you say Safeone.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Cepasaccus, thanks for such a detailed reply listing the various German/European safe ratings, that must have taken some considerable time, if only more members would participate with such in-depth contributions.

I realise now that my wording 'RAL v EN hornets nest' might have caused some misunderstanding. I wasn't questioning the tests/gradings as in 'versus each other' or questioning their integrity or standards, I meant it purely in terms of the your quote "For insurances E10 is now equivalent to EN1143 grade VI", ie; the older RAL gradings being incorrectly classed as equivalents of the later EN ones.

Your reply is however incredibly detailed and have to say thanks also for confirming the test house responsible for the RAL-RG testing in Germany back then. It is all these snippets of information that collectively make this site the amazing resource that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Cepasaccus, thanks for such a detailed reply listing the various German/European safe ratings, that must have taken some considerable time, if only more members would participate with such in-depth contributions.

Your reply is however incredibly detailed and have to say thanks also for confirming the test house responsible for the RAL-RG testing in Germany back then. It is all these snippets of information that collectively make this site the amazing resource that it is.

May I add my appreciation to Cepasaccus for the background to the German/European testing and certification system.

Coming right up-to-date, I learn that there has been insoluble conflict between EFSG and ECB-S which has led to Eurosafe forming an independent test house named SECOTA. (Security,Equivalent,Certification,Organisation,Te sting & Auditing). see below.

Frankfurt/M. – November 2018. On the 19th of October2018, the first official meeting of SECOTA took place in Frankfurt am Main. The working group, made up of international representatives from all sectors of the physical security and insurance industry, has set itself the goal of making laboratories easier to compare in the future - through regular comparative tests. Here, test philosophies and processes should be harmonized, thereby creating a transparent industry platform for the continuous exchange of experience.

While I'm at it, I also learn that the UL has recently introduced a new lower grade to the TL10 called RSC (Residential Security Container) resistance time 5 minutes with small common hand tools.

https://news.ul.com/news/residential-security-container-standard-revised

Hope that nothing above conflicts with the External Site Links referred to recently but as I don't really know what the term means - what the hell.

Huw, thanks for your clarification. I don't know from where the public insurance grading table comes from. I is certainly not a mandatory classification. I asked an insurance about a PTZ graded safe and they didn't know about this grade.

I didn't know about EFSG and SECOTA. Thanks for mentioning them. VdS is a bit ... arrogant or at least boasting a lot about themselves. Maybe they need to do this to keep their position with the German insurance companies. But some of their gradings are really strange, e.g. the KL3909 lock - grade B. I think they are becoming all more and more paper tigers. I am sure for politics EFSG <-> SECOTA does make sense. It would be interesting who is participating in the SECOTA comparison.

UL 1037 is in 6th edition from 2016. So RSCs must be at least that old, but can be older. There is again the problem that it is very difficult to get information about old standards. My guess is that RSCs are older than 2016, but that their requirements have been modified just like the transition from German A/B safes (construction) to S1/S2 safes (security testing). I have found an RSC certificate from 2004, which supports at least that RSCs are older.

An update regarding PTZ:

The purpose of this was government usage, like the GSA etc. in the US. The PTZ existed approx. until the government owned Deutsche Bundespost was converted to Deutsche Post AG private stock company. Until then the safes were certified by them. So in the 1990s there were three certification schemes running in parallel, PTZ, FuP, VdS. For needs by German secret agencies the PTZ has been replaced by the BSI (Federal Office for Information Security). From the former levels I to IV with and without a there is only I and II left with the labels SG I VS and SG II VS (Verschlusssache = classified document). They are basically grade A (single sheet walls) and grade B (double sheed walls) safes with some special requirements. These are an opening counter, lead shielding for combination locks and approved locks. The approved locks are standard commercial locks. Germany is not as big as the US.

Government usage in the pre 1995 era included e.g. Deutsche Bundespost (mail, phone system and bank), Deutsche Bahn (railway), central banks. So there was really a huge demand for PTZ-certified safes.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Many thanks again to Cepasaccus for such a detailed update

The Gem thread never dies!

Definitive answer, six were sold for use in the UK. Mainly to the cash and carry chain. Probably all the same size, I forgot to ask if they ever made the bigger size.

Still reckon it qualifies for your list Huw. Not exactly a mass production item. Don't want to ever have to drill one, like the Treasury models that Stainless and ceramic peg fill is killer stuff.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Chubby in response to your post #160 that you titled 'The Loch Ness Monster AKA SLS Gem safe', I too had a chuckle as I posted this video link somewhere way back in this thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Ld6f_LkyE

Also, I'm guessing that you didn't read the numerous points Raised indicating at least 3 of the Gems were made.

2 of them still survive to this day, a LH swing and RH swing door, plus a few of the slightly lower specced Sapphires which look almost identical- some of those are still in the UK, plus one of the Gems was sacrificed in order to achieve the TXTL60x6 rating.

Safeone- as far as I know the Atlas is still the only safe to meet the Euro grade 7, which was why I doubted the safe that Winter from France posted which was claiming to be a grade 8.

Doug thanks for adding those, the TRTL30x6 Mosler looks identical to the Kaso Gem safes I've seen over here, and isn't the Mosler Hadaiken one of those oddballs that didn't have an outer shell? I recall an Israeli company made a range of them with those distinctive protruding hinges. They had the actual cast barrier material on show- very expensive to make apparently because of all the surface finishing the rough castings needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
    The Gem thread never dies!

Definitive answer, six were sold for use in the UK
    . Mainly to the cash and carry chain. Probably all the same size, I forgot to ask if they ever made the bigger size.

Still reckon it qualifies for your list Huw. Not exactly a mass production item. Don't want to ever have to drill one, like the Treasury models that Stainless and ceramic peg fill is killer stuff.

Alan

Hello Alan,

Can I ask where you get your 'definitive' information from please ?

Regards.

Ian

I occasionally chat to Roger

Thread Information