Hello everyone, here's a subject I've discussed with many people countless times over the years, and thought it'd be a good one to get some discussion going on here with members world-wide.

Over the years a few of the big safe manufacturers have produced an 'ultimate' bespoke safe for unique circumstances, usually at the request of a large banking institution or private corporation.

I'm talking free standing safes here, and not 'walk-in' strong rooms or vaults, which have of course been covered many times in other threads.

By 'ultimate safe' I'm referring to unique one-offs or small-run (2 or 3 units for example) which are constructed differently and above a manufacturers standard production 'high grade' safes. I'm not thinking of the countless so-called 'luxury' safes on the European market, as these are mostly just re-worked 'badge engineered' versions of other manufacturers euro grade models.

I remember seeing a safe on the net which I think was presented to the Vatican as a gift, for use by the Pope- again from what I could see it was yet another re-worked euro grader made by someone else, fitted with pointless gimmickry and it's 1 or 2 million price tag was meaningless, likewise another euro grader a few years back, (which I still fall off my chair laughing when I think about it) 'styled' like a Bugatti Veyron and actually licensed and endorsed by the company (with an equally ridiculous price tag).

I'm not thinking of safes with ridiculous paint jobs, any of the so-called luxury models with plush interiors and automatic watch winders, carbon-fibre cladding etc. Also exempt is anything bling- 18K gold S&G combo dials with baguette diamonds set around the bezel (ohh yes- you'd be amazed) aren't what I'm talking here, I'm thinking of ultimate security safes built 100% for all-out protective security and defence.

I'll start things off with a great candidate for number 1:

1- 1980s SLS Gem

This one, for me at least, is undisputable as only 2 were ever made, and both examples were uniquely constructed, and not just based on one of their existing top of the range Bankers Treasury models. They also produced a slightly lesser 'Sapphire' version of which a few more units were made.

I think both were produced in the mid 1980s, and that one of the Gems was destined for HM the Queen at Buckingham Palace, and the other for private use in the Middle East. The latter example I think ended up at a US dealer and was offered for sale at about $45~$50,000 some years back.

A truly serious safe of massive construction- although relatively small in terms of overall size, the protective door slab and walls were 8 inches thick, and it featured SLS's usual aluramic (aluminium with ceramic) armour with glass plates and randomly positioned live and dead relockers.

2- 1929 Chatwood CB Quality

Here's another of which only 2 were ever made. This one has been briefly covered in a post elsewhere on here, but surprisingly had little reaction. You can see a couple of very rare pictures kindly posted by safeman on his 'Very special Chatwood' thread.

Produced purely at the unique request of the Commercial Bank of Scotland, ( the CB stands for commercial bank),both were identical and nothing short of monstrous in size and construction. Much larger sized than the SLS Gem, with 10 inch thick door slab and 10 inch walls and a weight of about 7 tons, this beautiful Chatwood is possibly the largest and heaviest free stander ever made?

Also interesting is despite a door 15 inches thick overall, they didn't give it crane hinges and huge capstan handles 'vault door style', it just had an ordinary brass loop handle, standard hinges and looked pretty similar to one of their early Diamond safes.

3- Tann Diamond

This model started as a one-off special commissioned by DeBeers for storage of their most valuable stones at their London HQ. Featuring heavier walls and defences than their Super Treasury, the Diamond started out as a single bespoke unit but was so successful it resulted with DeBeers requesting several more. Tann's then went on to produce an altered, toned-down version of it as their standard top-of-the range safe above the Bankers and Treasury models.

Other possible candidates:

4- Chubb

With such a long and prestigious history I think there must be many Chubb examples which we simply never got to hear about, especially in terms of those produced for Royal use.

Their 'bird cage' built to secure the Ko-I-Noor (think that's how you spell it) diamond at the 1851 Great Exhibition is definitely one worthy of mention, but the overall principle it employed isn't really a 'free standing' safe as such.

Likewise after the famous Cornhill robbery and other similar hold-ups they pioneered new secure containers for bullion and cash, but these were mostly heavy rectangular chests and strong boxes, and not really free standing safes proper.

Chubb certainly made their mark with bespoke strong room and vault installations worldwide, but I'm not aware of any one-off ultimate safes to include here. Anyone know of any?

5- Fichet- Le Super Fichet?

Not sure of this one- there's some old literature floating around which might suggest this was just a very expensive top-of-the range model and not a commissioned one-off. They made a very heavy safe in the mid 1920s which I think was model 242. had a very thick stepped door and a weight of about 2500 kg- absolutely incredible for the size of the safe. Some suggest the later 'Le Super Fichet' of 1928 was a one-off improved version of the 242, but I don't know for sure. Anyone know anymore?

There must be many others from all those European and American manufacturers, so it'd be great to hear what you guys can add from around the world