Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Well that's definitely cleared up a few things, thanks again safeman and Gary for all you've added on this- so the Progress G's were tops after all...

Door furniture cast in Phosphor bronze, wow how times change, these days few manufacturers will stretch to using PB even for critical points like the bearings for the hinges!
    And, they think their handles and escutcheons are real quality if they're die-cast zinc instead of injection moulded plastic!!

I think this would have been the Ultimate back in the early 1900's.

We Re-built this a year or so ago, and it is now sitting in the Main Lobby of the Head Office of a major
    Bank in NZ.

This safe and its brother were still in use up until a few years ago.

We have its brother in our Workshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mikesafe1.jpg   Mikesafe2.jpg   Mikesafe3.jpg  

Redoubt, wow what an amazing Safe and you've done a beautiful job on it, I really like that black with orange scheme.

Those particular Chubb's with the crane hinges and pressure bars have always puzzled me why they only ever seem to show up in Australia and New Zealand?

I think it was safeman who mentioned a couple of similar Chubb Bankers over here in the uk that were used by one of the older banks, but from memory I think they were either without the crane hinge or the pressure bars, so not the full monty like yours.
    Thanks for posting those, its contributions like yours that make this site the treasure trove it is.

Old, but fantastic, thread this. Just a re boot to see if any UK member has, or knows where there is, a Tann Diamond for sale ? Either first or second generation would interest me. Please add to thread with info or PM me. Thanks,

By 2nd gen do you mean a ts5? or were there two gens of the older Diamond?
    Don't see many of them even in the banks, but will keep an eye out.
    I think I have a ts4 boltwork with all the bits that I meant to build as a demo model but haven't got round to it yet.

We are not allowed to post links due to forum rules. I googles Tann Diamond Safe and the first hit was a dealer with some for slae.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    By 2nd gen do you mean a ts5? or were there two gens of the older Diamond?
    Don't see many of them even in the banks, but will keep an eye out.
    I think I have a ts4 boltwork with all the bits that I meant to build as a demo model but haven't got round to it yet.
    Thanks for that. just to clarify I class the ts 5 as the 2nd generation diamond. Any info please message me direct to comply with forum rules.

I avoid safe dealers due to cost, just a mad collector me !

One thing I never understood on those old heavy Tanns is in the boltwork. Why did they have the locks operating live AEDS, but without an actual interference point with the bolt?

I am sure there must have been a reason if Tann did it, but what is the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    One thing I never understood on those old heavy Tanns is in the boltwork. Why did they have the locks operating live AEDS, but without an actual interference point with the bolt?

I am sure there must have been a reason if Tann did it, but what is the reason?
    Chubby, I was not until about 1980 privvy to the design thinking in Tanns but there could be a clue in that the first boltwork designs in Stratford and leading through to Tann, used the lock solely as a servo mechanism for the live re-locker and not necessarily in it's own right.

The reasoning as I see it is that at the time explosive attack was at it's height and when the lock is blown anything in the proximity is also likely to suffer so the re-locker placed some distance away and more firmly attached to the door plate than the flimsy lock bolts is more likely to survive.

The Tann locking changed by the 1980's in the TS ranges where the live re-locker was placed well above and out of danger working in conjunction with the keylock which was also active in the bolt plate.

It's interesting to hear that.

Of course some Stratford AEDs were set very close to the lock- I am thinking of the little see saw live AEDs.

I am a big believer in long drives for AEDs putting them well away from the main action.

Thread Information