Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chubb Ratner Hobbs Price safe locks

Here are a range of safe locks from my collection.

I'm interested to hear what the community knows of them.

What is the quality of them?

Are they rare?

What would each be worth?

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb Detent pair.jpg   Chubb detent 1.jpg   Chubb detent 2.jpg   Tann safe locks.jpg   Ratner Key changer 1.jpg  

Ratner key changer 2.jpg   George Price 1.jpg   George Price 2.jpg  

very nice assortment, do you have internal pictures of the first pair of detent locks, and the tann locks?
    the brass detent lock Is interesting, have not seen that one before

Thanks. I'm told the two Chubb Detent are from a Vault door.

Yes, the big brass Chubb dteent is a lovely lock. And other safe guys are also telling me its an oddity. Has its original keys too.

Have pulled them apart to get a few photos to show you.

Must've had a senior moment re 'Tann.' They're not Tann, they're Hobbs Protector!

Any info regarding rarity, and value would be appreciated from the Forum's safe people.

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240207_135007.jpg   20240207_135016.jpg   20240207_135101.jpg   20240207_135519.jpg   20240207_135523.jpg  

20240207_135543.jpg   20240207_135556.jpg   20240207_135655.jpg   20240207_135805.jpg   20240207_135819.jpg  

I thought from your first pictures the they looked like Hobbs locks, the non curtained one is unusual, no curtain and an unusually shaped iron block, one of the detents has been removed from the Chubb lock, this was quite common, and there looks to be some damage to the notches on the levers

I'm still trying to get my head around the George Price. It's got some features of the Ne Plus Ultra powderproof but have never seen a variant anything like that!

is it the one that fits into the frame rather than the door? Slam latch action?

Aha, I'd totally forgotten about those! That would certainly explain it. I should've remembered-I've got an old photo somewhere my father took of one he worked on in the early 70s, so just before my time.
    I never got to see it, and never encountered one out on site in all the years after.
    Wonder if they offered that frame mounted set-up on book-room doors and low level SRD's or whether it was just that single oddball freestanding safe.

Hi Brian, Gary and HUW

Regarding the Chubb detent, yes the detent has been removed from one of the pair. The anti-pick serrations on the top lever are slightly damaged, the other levers are fine.

Regarding the Hobbs Protector that has no curtain, I'm told it is significantly older than the curtained one.

Regarding the George Price, yes, it is the slam action type. Safe collectors I've spoken to say they've vary rarely seen this kind. HUW, would you mind sharing the photo you have of such a lock.

Am I right in thinking that these safe locks in my collection are very high quality, rare, and thus valuable (I'm happy to be corrected!). They all came from London, from the stock of a long-passed locksmith. They'd been in storage 40 years or more!

Dan

The George Price
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails george price lock in body safe (1).jpg  

Thanks for that Gary.

Given the lack of comments on the lock, and bearing in mind that the few comments that have been made are to the effect that hardly any have ever been seen (and that from very experienced safe men), it would certainly appear that the George Price lock is very rare indeed.

Thread Information