Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Interesting thanks safeman, so the V3's were sold in Britain under both Rosengrens and Tann badges.

Do you know if the V3 was sold as the Krona for other markets (Intersec?)it'll be interesting to know if oldlock saw his example here in Britain or if it was badged as Tann in Australia.

The early involvement with Stratford sure mixed things up, the heavy Stratford Concord and its other badged variations spring to my mind.

We Used to see a lot more of the Consul's in smaller Building Societies etc, but did see A few Concorde's. Likewise the Ratner version badged the Trustee, saw Quite a few of those and also opened a couple when keys and combinations were lost. As for the equivalent badged Tann, the Tudor, have never seen one to this day. Can remember seeing lots of Intersec marketing for the American market, so had assumed they were USA only. Its interesting and sometimes quite surprising uncovering these hidden twists.

Does any learned member know when the Tann Diamond became the Tann TS5 Diamond ? To the nearest five years would be fine.

Got sales catalogues here for both which are undated and both show the identical contact details right down to the 'telex' number so no clues there.

Are we talking late 1980's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    Does any learned member know when the Tann Diamond became the Tann TS5 Diamond ? To the nearest five years would be fine.

Got sales catalogues here for both which are undated and both show the identical contact details right down to the 'telex' number so no clues there.

Safeone I've seen a TS5 brochure dated 1982, so it was presumably earlier than the late eighties but don't know exact date sorry. It's really annoying when manufacturers dated stuff for years on end and then left some random batches unmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Safeone I've seen a TS5 brochure dated 1982, so it was presumably earlier than the late eighties but don't know exact date sorry. It's really annoying when manufacturers dated stuff for years on end and then left some random batches unmarked.
    Evening Max and thanks for your swift reply.

Are the later models serial numbered on the door bolts as the earlier ones are ? Posted a picture of a Tann Bullion I have earlier in this thread and the bolt number identified the year very quickly, does the TS series carry on this tradition do we know ?

Evening Max and thanks for your swift reply.

Are the later models serial numbered on the door bolts as the earlier ones are ? Posted a picture of a Tann Bullion I have earlier in this thread and the bolt number identified the year very quickly, does the TS series carry on this tradition do we know ?
    Good Evening Safeone As far as I know yes and the Diamonds were stamped SS and the TS models were stamped TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS4 but not sure if the later Diamond TS5 was SS, or TS5 or Had a special mark. I'm out at the moment and had quite a few beers hope this makes sense!

safeman will know (All things Tann)dates, changeovers and the exact stamp codes used

It was UK and I don't recall the model name etc. The picture was what rang the bell for me.

Here's a newly discovered and classic example of the sort of safe I'd hoped this thread would uncover. Hopefully someone might be able to throw some more light on this.

Trawled up only days ago, and recognised the similarity with the bearings/sleeves on the locking bolts like those seen on some of South Africa's Bischoff Safes. I've not seen any Bischoff's here in Britain to examine one, so on the models fitted with them I'm assuming they were actual guide bearings for strength and durability, as opposed to just cosmetic surface trims.

Haven't heard of Giant or the Colossus before, so I'm guessing there was possibly a Bischoff link with this, considering the similarity and the fact that other sub-brands like Mutual and Austen were associated with them- some of which apparently have some controversy and mystery attached.

This strikes me as a South African dream equivalent of SLS's Gem safe, and can't help wondering whether a few of these actually made it to production.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	15076

Here's a newly discovered and classic example of the sort of safe I'd hoped this thread would uncover. Hopefully someone might be able to throw some more light on this.

Trawled up only days ago, and recognised the similarity with the bearings/sleeves on the locking bolts like those seen on some of South Africa's Bischoff Safes. I've not seen any Bischoff's here in Britain to examine one, so on the models fitted with them I'm assuming they were actual guide bearings for strength and durability, as opposed to just cosmetic surface trims.

Haven't heard of Giant or the Colossus before, so I'm guessing there was possibly a Bischoff link with this, considering the similarity and the fact that other sub-brands like Mutual and Austen were associated with them- some of which apparently have some controversy and mystery attached.

This strikes me as a South African dream equivalent of SLS's Gem safe, and can't help wondering whether a few of these actually made it to production.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	15076
    'Holy Mother Of ****' !! What on Earth is that ! The weight is surprising at 2500kg, the door looks that heavy.......wonder if one is sat abandoned somewhere ?

Default Krona etc.

Interesting thanks safeman, so the V3's were sold in Britain under both Rosengrens and Tann badges.

Do you know if the V3 was sold as the Krona for other markets (Intersec?)it'll be interesting to know if oldlock saw his example here in Britain or if it was badged as Tann in Australia.

The early involvement with Stratford sure mixed things up, the heavy Stratford Concord and its other badged variations spring to my mind.

We Used to see a lot more of the Consul's in smaller Building Societies etc, but did see A few Concorde's. Likewise the Ratner version badged the Trustee, saw Quite a few of those and also opened a couple when keys and combinations were lost. As for the equivalent badged Tann, the Tudor, have never seen one to this day. Can remember seeing lots of Intersec marketing for the American market, so had assumed they were USA only. Its interesting and sometimes quite surprising uncovering these hidden twists.
    As far as I can tell Krona was specifically made for Intersec by A.B. Vardeskydd of Sweden.

Name:	Krona V3 a..JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	15081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krona V3 b..JPG 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	15082 It does not appear to carry a V3 certification or that of the U.L. Like all Nordic products though it carries a Fire Resistance Label which in this case is the A120 2-hour. It should have some sort of certification though under the SIS 83 75 01 system - V3, V2S, V2 or V1, but likely to be in the higher grade.

The Nordic, also an ABV product, does appear have a TRTL-30 certification but where it fits in I have no idea.

Name:	Lacka Safe Nordic-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	15083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacka Safe Nordic-2_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	15084

Default Diamond TS 5.

Found a TS-5 brochure dated 1982 if this is any help.

The records which I have of Tann safe numbers end with the closure of the Billericay factory. I believe that after the move to Borehamwood they started using that factory's numbering system. It's always good to get an actual date of manufacture but this is no longer possible. At least the factory codes help as in the case of your earlier post.

Here are a couple of very useful listings of first dates for specific models and the coding system at Borehamwood.

Name:	First numbers.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	15085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann codes & 1st Nos..jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	15086 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borehamwood codes..JPG 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	15087

Thread Information