Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Another one - this time a criminal entry. Thanks to safe mover Lloydd Sandever:

Chubb isolater - 4men 6hrs to do this ,they even took a flask of soup (tomato). must have been cold , they had balaclavas on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Default Some more Chubb brochures from the 'proper' days

Here's a few Chubb brochures I mentioned a while back

All that interesting talk about explosives testing took me back to the HSE tests at Buxton in the early 2000's. I was lucky to attend for just 2 of the days, but the very safe I was hoping to see tested ended up being delayed and I think was done several days later. Was a very interesting couple of days though, and a real eye opener to see what annihilation stuff like C4 can do.

Bankers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	15052

Bankers Treasury

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	15053

Trident

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	15054

Default HSE Buxton.

Max, as this refers to the present century it's something with which I'm not familiar. Did/does this facility conduct explosive testing of safes on behalf of safe manufacturers?

Tanns' conducted their testing of safes at the Borehamwood factory and the heavier strong room work somewhere in Northumberland I believe although in the latter years the demountable lightwight strongroom panels were tested in a quarry somewhere in the Home Counties. I was never aware of where Chubb's tests done except that the few pictures I have include lots of sandbags.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Max, as this refers to the present century it's something with which I'm not familiar. Did/does this facility conduct explosive testing of safes on behalf of safe manufacturers?
    From memory I recall they could undertake such testing for manufacturers who requested it, as its all part of what they do and the services they can offer. Much of it of course is highly secretive and outside public knowledge, in the interests of safety and standards for just about everything. What I attended was a special organised group and a one-off event though as far as I know- was very lucky.

Default Heres a few more forgotten Giants

A few more that were top of the range in their day

Rosengrens V3

V3 was once top of the class and very distinctive with its un-cluttered contemporary styling.
    Attachment 15055

Rosengrens Jupiter

Who could forget that star handle and those ABN changeable locks...Not a favourite of many but I have to admit a soft spot for them. Like the V3 these were distinctive and immensely built safes, with actual defensive wall thicknesses around the 5.5 inches mark. They also have the mother of glass plates which can cover over a third of the entire door.
    Attachment 15056

Kaso Treasury

Not so many of these around, used to see perhaps more of the Kaso Gem Model here in Britain, but the style was similar overall.

Another distinctive design and always liked the lockable 'anti-boroscope' escutcheons which were themselves like miniature circular chrome vault doors! Not something mentioned in brochures these days but many boasted such features when fibre-optics first boomed and boroscopes became more common.

Views:	19 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	15057

Not sure what's happened with the pics, they were all ok when I previewed.

Try again,

Rosengrens

V3

Views:	23 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	15058

Jupiter

Views:	20 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	15059

Kaso Treasury

Views:	16 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	15060

Hopefully these post ok

Also trawled up this early Chatwood Milner Monarch with isolator boltwork

Views:	25 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	15061

I've seen the V3 marked Tann. With Kromer Novum + 4 wheel S&G.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    I've seen the V3 marked Tann. With Kromer Novum + 4 wheel S&G.
    Oldlock was that in Britain or Australia? Do you know if it was known as the Krona or actually marketed as the Tann V3, things sometimes get a bit vague with Tann and Rosengrens models especially with the Intersec stuff marketed overseas.

PS I'd have had Kromer's in preference to those nightmare ABN's any day

Default Rosengren - Tann.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Oldlock was that in Britain or Australia? Do you know if it was known as the Krona or actually marketed as the Tann V3, things sometimes get a bit vague with Tann and Rosengrens models especially with the Intersec stuff marketed overseas.

PS I'd have had Kromer's in preference to those nightmare ABN's any day

Long before Rosengrens and Tann were merged in 1990 they had a strong trading partnership in the form of the Stratford Equipment Company in the early 1960's with Gunnar Krook, the MD of Rosengrens on the Board. Stratford were very strong in the middle east but the name Rosengrens didn't go down well in some Arab countries.

The Swedish fire files and cabinets were in the Stratford Safe Co. catalogue to supplement their own V Type horizontal and vertical tested fire cabinets. Rosengren's V3 Money Chest was also included as the Stratford range at that time stopping at the Sterling Plus.

Name:	V3 money chest 1.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	15066 Fitted with the CNAB-6 lock it was priced at £264.12. 0. and was designed to be securely enclosed in concrete. It was also offered as a coffer fitted within the 3520 Service Quality.

Reciprocal trading with Rosengrens was mainly through the FTS 450 Strong Room Doors and from 1966 the heavy Tann 12" Doors for the Swedish Banks.

From my perspective in Scotland in the 1970's as John Tann (Scotland) we were starved of heavy Tann products for our bank customers and started to import directly from Sweden the B4 Firefile and the V3 cash safe as shown on Max's post all of which were Tann badged.

The V3 label made the tested product much more desirable as did the attractive external design features.

Thread Information