Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    Has anyone ever touched one ?
    You'll just have to use your imagination.

In keeping with this thread and to my amazement, discovered this brochure for a Burnside anti-blowpipe safe with crane hinge and pressure bars hiding away in the Members Library- 3rd row down bottom left pic, but they're all worth a look:
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...e-Safe-Company

Also, Chatwood diamond brochure; second block of photos (post #2) 3rd row down bottom right pic, but everything's worth a good look, especially if you like fancy safes and their diamond quality SRDs:
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...wood-Catalogue
    Big thanks to oldlock for all those

Default Rosengrens RHS series

Never heard mention of these Rosengrens RHS before, they might just be re-badged Jupiters or derivatives, not had chance to compare dims or specs.
    One thing I noticed was most Rosengrens literature from that era usually refers to resistance points to SMS 3000 classification,whereas these are to INSTA 610.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	21486

The boltwork on that door looks a bit flimsy. Just 3 bolts with that big corner area unsupported. Or am I missing something?

Just had a thought the RHS's might be Saturnus variants, going from (failing)memory they were lighter and iirc the Jupiter was next down from the Bankers.

I have had to drill a few of the higher grade ones open rhs141 and 243 if memory served me right, serious safes, very good design and barrier and if you are unlucky to get one of the larger sizes, the boltwork is in a pocket in the middle of the door so for side drilling you have to go through the side wall of the safe and then also all the barrier in the door up to the boltwork chamber. I once opened one up in Scotland where a previous engineer had spent 2 weeks drilling it open.They do have top and bottom bolts as well Chubby.

3 or 4 way sliding bolts?

3 way sliding and full hinge length dog bolt, I would rate the large size rhs 243 safe I drilled as one of the toughest I have ever had to drill, very nice safes, and typically of Rosengrens of that era, clever well constructed units.

Sounds similar to the Jupiter Gary, glass covers entire mid section of door and covers all the boltwork so can't reach anything without setting off relockers. Hats off to you for picking up the pieces on someone else's bad job on one of those, you're braver than i was !
    I drilled RS3s and 4s but not anything higher and Have to agree they are serious safes, repaired and serviced the Jupiters- they were my worst nightmare, the ABN changeable locks had a habit of chewing themselves to bits, leaving drilling as the only option.
    Refused one such job when they demanded it was opened within a couple of hours and I knew I'd be there for days and be stuck for making good and parts.

turned out I made the right decision - Rosengrens eventually went and took several very long days to get it open, the last of which they were apparently there until gone 2am. It then sat idle for months, left peppered with holes as apparently even they didn't have any parts or any of the unique glass plates to re-instate it.

Funnily enough this one was a broken scroll / cam on an abn. There was probably about 12 inches barrier to drill on this one but the 2 week bloke had put one hole 18 inches deep, had actually missed the boltwork chamber, and then had to start drilling all over again. Poor sod!

Thread Information