Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Hi Alan
    Thanks for the information on the Gem.
    A couple of random questions though.
    Are/was the Cash and Carry chain large holders of money?
    We have a version in NZ but I suspect that they are different from the UK version. The Gem seems a pretty serious safe for such a place.
    Who is Roger? Did he work for SLS?
    Thanks in advance.

Mike

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for the information on the Gem.
    A couple of random questions though.
    Are/was the Cash and Carry chain large holders of money?
    We have a version in NZ but I suspect that they are different from the UK version. The Gem seems a pretty serious safe for such a place.
    Thanks in advance.

Mike

......wht Mike asked

The Gem thread never dies indeed...
    Many thanks to Alan for the update, don't think any of us saw that coming.

We have a version in NZ but I suspect that they are different from the UK version
    Hello Mike, so are these SLS's in NZ actually marked as Gems? As you will know there's also the lower grade Sapphire below it, but it will be easy to identify a true Gem as they dwarf even their Bankers Treasury models- 12 inch thick door overall, 8 inch slab and even the baby size weighs nearly 8,000 Lbs.
    if they're 4 inch or so door slabs then they might be Sapphires if they are totally top-specced but otherwise possibly re-labelled Bankers Treasuries for overseas markets? Not sure if SLS used those marketing tactics for overseas though, all the others big names certainly did.

Roger Painter is one of the original founders of the company and I believe the main man behind the development of the Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
    The Gem thread never dies!

Definitive answer, six were sold for use in the UK. Mainly to the cash and carry chain. Probably all the same size, I forgot to ask if they ever made the bigger size.

Still reckon it qualifies for your list Huw. Not exactly a mass production item. Don't want to ever have to drill one, like the Treasury models that Stainless and ceramic peg fill is killer stuff.

Alan
    Alan,

The AiS safe rating shows the SLS Gem as offering 100k of cover and only 3 were produced ? One going to the USA, one for test and one going to a 'saver centre'....yep the Gem mystery continues

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    Alan,

The AiS safe rating shows the SLS Gem as offering 100k of cover and only 3 were produced ? One going to the USA, one for test and one going to a 'saver centre'....yep the Gem mystery continues
    They also incorrectly classed it as a TRTL30/6 which safeman brought our attention to way back in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    By the way, the 2008 AiS Safe Ratings List under SLS Gem states, 'only 3 made - I for test, 1 to USA, last to Saver Centre.'
    Make of that what you will but as they classify it as Gem TRTL 30/6 they cannot be totally relied upon for accuracy.

Hi Huw
    Sorry I might not have been clear on my previous post.
    No we don't have a version of the Gem in NZ, but we have a version of Cash and Carry.
    What I was struggling with is why such a place needed a Safe of the quality of the Gem.
    Did the Cash and Carrys have a lot of cash on site.

Mike

Other than what is available on line, Lack A Safe MGM productions, Empire Safes leaflet links etc, has anyone got any pictures of the SLS Gem in any size in situ or transportation ? If such an enquiry breaches forum rules I apologise in advance........

In the late eighties supermarkets and other major shops could be handling serious amounts of cash. Sometimes too much to actually fit inside their large safes during the Christmas rush!

Times have changed. Much more frequent CiT collections but mainly down to card and phone payments instead of proper money

Hi Huw
    Sorry I might not have been clear on my previous post.
    No we don't have a version of the Gem in NZ, but we have a version of Cash and Carry.
    What I was struggling with is why such a place needed a Safe of the quality of the Gem.
    Did the Cash and Carrys have a lot of cash on site.

Mike

Yes Roger Painter, main part of SLS safes. A real gentlemen with huge knowledge of the trade. Always a pleasure to catch up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    Other than what is available on line, Lack A Safe MGM productions, Empire Safes leaflet links etc, has anyone got any pictures of the SLS Gem in any size in situ or transportation ? If such an enquiry breaches forum rules I apologise in advance........
    Has anyone ever touched one ?

Thread Information