Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-

www.Antique-Locks.com 
HoL
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks History of Locks Museum
Please support the HoL Museum Shop where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Do I read that correctly? It has 2 way boltwork, not 4 way?

I like the bit in the write up about how it is difficult to remove. I would endorse that of a 4 tonner!

The biggest safe I have seen was about 6500kg. The safe rating was E10. It was actually two combined safes. At the bottom a large, two-door safe. At the top an extension which was connected and had a safe door on the back. I don't have a name nor photos.

Wow, a 6500kg safe is heavy by any standard but that does sound like a bespoke special which often enter that sort of weight territory through size alone, and/or the integration of multiple units without necessarily being of exceptionally high resistance. What is the E10 rating, is it a German grade allocated pre EN1143 days?
    Huw

The safe was for a supermarket chain. Cash bombs could be thrown into the top door to be collected in the bottom. E10 was a pre EN1143 rating from 1982. The highest rating for free standing safes at this time in Germany. For insurances E10 is now equivalent to EN1143 grade VI.

Ah that's what I thought, supermarkets, chains and general stores are generally the biggest established market for multiple units, duals, deposits etc.
    E10 was obviously pretty good if it effectively equates to the modern Euro grade 6!
    Huw

Surely some one must have one of these laying around in the back of their Workshop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

brilliant Redoubt where on earth did you find that, it seems a very elusive model. The step of the door has surprised me for a Chubb with a 6 inch protective door slab.
    Didn't expect the thin outer door with the barrier material extended into the boltcase, which is what they must have done there to make 6" of protective thickness. A very nice unassuming 'office look' Chubb, with more than a few surprises waiting for anyone that attacks it, bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing really.
    Huw

Thread Information