Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Fair comment.

What about the Chubb Bankers Third Strength Safe. At over 4000kg, back in the day, it must have been a very impressive safe. Today it would be very impressive.
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned.

Sounds a good one Redoubt, can remember seeing the terms 2nd and 3rd strength applied to different models (ABP and TDR as well, I think)but had no idea that one was a monster 4 tonner. Any pics of one?

Hi Huw,

No i don't have a pic sorry. I had read about it on the A to Z Safes Website a while ago and it just popped back into my head.
    Was hoping one of the other members may have come across one at some stage.

I cannot remember offhand seeing a double door version of a bankers or 3rd strength TDR, and would have thought it would need to e a double door unit to be that weight. Very nice safes but not a safe I would put in the ultimate safe category.

6428/21 is the largest TDR size I can see in the brochures, from 2200 to about 2500 kgs dependent on which brochure you read. Good safes with the biscuit plate uprade, or if you find one that still has he glass fitted .

Default Chubb Anti Blowpipe Bankers Third Strength

Thanks for that Redoubt it is indeed still listed on the AtoZ safes site and at 58 1/4 inches tall (148cm) weighing 82cwt (4166kg) it has definitely evaded mention on here.

Some quick specs from the site; body 6 3/8 inches thick, door 10 5/8 inches thick overall with 6 inch protective slab. Outer shell Siemens steel with 2 inch fireproof thickness and inner 4 inch of anti blowpipe and drill resisting alloy. Obviously it's well before their TDR days.
    From the livery and door furniture description it sounds of similar era (1950s)as the heavy office quality discussed the other day.

Anyone got any pictures?

Do I read that correctly? It has 2 way boltwork, not 4 way?

I like the bit in the write up about how it is difficult to remove. I would endorse that of a 4 tonner!

The biggest safe I have seen was about 6500kg. The safe rating was E10. It was actually two combined safes. At the bottom a large, two-door safe. At the top an extension which was connected and had a safe door on the back. I don't have a name nor photos.

Wow, a 6500kg safe is heavy by any standard but that does sound like a bespoke special which often enter that sort of weight territory through size alone, and/or the integration of multiple units without necessarily being of exceptionally high resistance. What is the E10 rating, is it a German grade allocated pre EN1143 days?

Thread Information