Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

just looked at the photos again, cannot remember a kc lock on it, so maybe the middle bit just controlled keyway shutters, old scans of photographs, so cannot make out details

Just been looking back at the Bankers clutch-bolt SRD's safeman posted and now realise I was wrong in thinking what I thought at a glance was the boltwork shown on the right being that of the door on the left.

It clearly isn't- it's even more interesting in that the boltwork shown has the huge Anti-violence lock at centre height, plus what I'll guess is the Patent solid change-key protector lock at the top, and what I'll also guess it the basic powder proof protector lock down the bottom.
    But whats really got me curious is the position of the rack and pinion drive for the boltwork. Assuming the handle spindle drives the centre pinion gear (there's nowhere else for it!!!), that would put the handle three quarters of the way down the door near the bottom...

Default Hobbs AED.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    So simple, but it would be hard to design anything much more effective at blocking the boltwork.

I remember seeing something similar on a Hobbs 3.5" door. I don't remember it having the warning, though. Of course a simple deadfall like that is fine as a dead aed on a strongroom door, but is vulnerable to an "Australian attack".

I wouldn't fancy trying to burn into the door. That chain would very easily melt.
    Chubby, this relocker is in two parts - the chain restrained drop bar and the cross-locked ball-bearing plate next to the bolt throwing gears.

I would have found it difficult to explain without Gary's photographs. In the third picture with the bolt and cover removed it is just possible to see the relocking bar tilted out at the lower end and behind which is a large ball bearing which will have dropped out of it's retaining recess to cross lock the relocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Just been looking back at the Bankers clutch-bolt SRD's safeman posted and now realise I was wrong in thinking what I thought at a glance was the boltwork shown on the right being that of the door on the left.

It clearly isn't- it's even more interesting in that the boltwork shown has the huge Anti-violence lock at centre height, plus what I'll guess is the Patent solid change-key protector lock at the top, and what I'll also guess it the basic powder proof protector lock down the bottom.
    But whats really got me curious is the position of the rack and pinion drive for the boltwork. Assuming the handle spindle drives the centre pinion gear (there's nowhere else for it!!!), that would put the handle three quarters of the way down the door near the bottom...
    Huw, I think this can be explained as 'artistic license'. Having looked at the Progress 'E' drawing the same misplacement is very similar. The artist may have sacrifised layout in order to enlarge the lock detail of the Anti-Violence lock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs Progress 'E' door..JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	17161

OK, so once fired it deadlocks in place. So the Australian attack wouldn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    OK, so once fired it deadlocks in place. So the Australian attack wouldn't work!
    curious as to what you mean by the Australian attack, turning it on its ar**?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    curious as to what you mean by the Australian attack, turning it on its arse?
    Giving the safe so much beer that it throws up its contents all over the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Giving the safe so much beer that it throws up its contents all over the floor?
    Tom that could also be a Welsh attack using Brains SA...

Think Gary had the right idea but adding the extra bit of info I can think that's missing would probably be a bit over the boundary for here, anyway I have to admit that gave me a good laugh Tom

Chubby we all know you like your AED's so knowing an Australian attack won't work why not try the full sideways Bulgarian AED attack using very strong Rakia..

Yes, some crude AEDs are just a deadfall and in those cases inverting the safe will free them.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Huw, I think this can be explained as 'artistic license'. Having looked at the Progress 'E' drawing the same misplacement is very similar. The artist may have sacrifised layout in order to enlarge the lock detail of the Anti-Violence lock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs Progress 'E' door..JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	17161
    Thanks safeman, good old artistic licence I don't think I would have thought of that tbh, it certainly had me scratching my head when I realised the bolt work handle was only two foot up from the floor!

Thread Information