Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Unfortunately no pictures and never seen one, and not intending to worsen your condition and make you drool even more but Hobbs apparently made an anti blow-pipe copper alloyed 'Branch Bank' of even higher level than the progress G's that for some reason was never even catalogued..
    picture of a progress g
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hobbs progress g.jpg  

Wow that came out of nowhere! Cheers for posting that Gary- what a beauty, so even the G's retained their characteristic Hobb's look, it's even got the classic rolling-pin hinges- only the handle looks a bit different. Still original paint and lining too, that's cracking!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Wow that came out of nowhere! Cheers for posting that Gary- what a beauty, so even the G's retained their characteristic Hobb's look, it's even got the classic rolling-pin hinges- only the handle looks a bit different. Still original paint and lining too, that's cracking!
    Not many to be seen nowadays. Interesting handle much publicised in 1865 as Hobbs Patent Locking Handle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs indicator handle_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	17139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs safe (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	17140
    I'll stick in some other illustrations of the "Progress G" and details of J M Harts Patents including the Progess G's Patent staple boltwork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress G.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	17141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hart patents.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	17142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patent 559.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	17143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs Door G.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	17144

I've included an early illustration of the "G" Strongroom door which shows the locking mechanism in some detail,

The last patent from 1911 for an anti-explosive device was probably the first such protection and from memory fitted to the Branch Bank quality which also had the Hobbs National Protector as one of the locks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs National Protector.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	548.1 KB 
ID:	17145

What type of AED was that one?

tried to post some Hobbs aed pictures, but wouldn't let me, will try later. Love the old Chatwood and Hobbs stuff, if I had to pick something modern as good gear it would probably be Leicher grade 6.

tried to reduce their size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hobbs 48146 (17).JPG   hobbs 48146 (20).JPG   hobbs 48146 (28).JPG  

So simple, but it would be hard to design anything much more effective at blocking the boltwork.

I remember seeing something similar on a Hobbs 3.5" door. I don't remember it having the warning, though. Of course a simple deadfall like that is fine as a dead aed on a strongroom door, but is vulnerable to an "Australian attack".

I wouldn't fancy trying to burn into the door. That chain would very easily melt.

Some nice clear photos there, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore- love the boltwork on those clutch-bolt SRD's.

Seeing the advert safeman posted for the diamond merchant's safe reminded me I'd seen old images of those before but never with Progress G mentioned, so was unaware that they were actually 'G's.

Interesting info on the locking indicator handle, never even heard of it before let alone seen one! Thanks again Gary & safeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    picture of a progress g
    Nice indeed - where was / is it and what locks were fitted ? Looks like a combo dial in the middle ??

I seem to remember it had three keylocks, I assume anti-violence, bankers change and protector, but the safe was locked up and many years ago, I think they scrapped it eventually although I would hope someone who knew what it was saw it and saved it, but probably not.

Thread Information