Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Default The other halves of the pages.

Were too wide for my scanner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ratner Lh.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	15088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Lh.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	15089

That's all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    As far as I can tell Krona was specifically made for Intersec by A.B. Vardeskydd of Sweden.
    Thanks safeman, interesting link with Vardeskydd AB as I recall being told they were responsible for many of the actual Swedish safes under the Rosengrens and Tann badges. There was supposedly a link at some point where both names amalgamated, but when, for how long and for what, I am unsure. It might have been purely marketing purposes and not manufacture, I really don't know.

Remember seeing the young lady 'tooled up' in the Tann Nordic advert in the American Locksmith Ledgers from the 1970s.

Why on earth they featured the V3 in the title on the Krona brochure when it didn't meet the V3 grade is totally beyond me! Thanks again for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Thanks safeman, interesting link with Vardeskydd AB as I recall being told they were responsible for many of the actual Swedish safes under the Rosengrens and Tann badges. There was supposedly a link at some point where both names amalgamated, but when, for how long and for what, I am unsure. It might have been purely marketing purposes and not manufacture, I really don't know.

Remember seeing the young lady 'tooled up' in the Tann Nordic advert in the American Locksmith Ledgers from the 1970s.

Why on earth they featured the V3 in the title on the Krona brochure when it didn't meet the V3 grade is totally beyond me! Thanks again for all the info

Max, I don't know of any connection between Rosengren and Vardeskydd. Rosengren opened a sales office in London around 1970 just before Tann acquired A B Vardeskydd in 1973 which incidentally incorporated the famous company of Hagelins.

As the ABV products were less expensive that those from the Borehamwood factory, they became prime suppliers to the US for "Tann".

No UK Tann safes were ever submitted for UL testing with the exception of a much enhanced cash container for the NCR ATM which successfully achieved the Level Two UL 291 sometime around 1988.

Max, at least one of the Colossus safes made it into the U.S. as it was featured in a trade mag SAVTA? years ago by someone from Florida as I remember. The only Giant safes I have seen were Fichet labeled and in the TL-15 and 30 catagory.

safeman thanks again for that, it was the joint name of Tann Vardeskydd AB that was in my mind, couldn't find a date anywhere though, so your date of 1973 fits in there!

In terms of a Rosengrens connection it was that supposedly the distinctive Scandinavian designs seen in the original V3 and those later Rosengrens, Tann and Intersec models were actually Vardeskydd produced safes, but I'm realising now that from what you're saying this couldn't have been the case.
    Another minor mystery solved so thanks again for all your input and info.

Doug thanks for that, I'd never seen any mention of the Colossus before and anything like that gets me curious- so, the mystery continues...
    interesting about the Giants and the Fichet's, seems there's a twist around every corner...thanks again to you both.

Default Tann Info

Safeman, thanks for taking time to scan & post those documents. Busy printing and sticking them together now. Makes for very handy reference stuff like that, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Max, at least one of the Colossus safes made it into the U.S. as it was featured in a trade mag SAVTA? years ago by someone from Florida as I remember.
    Doug there is indeed a brief document on the net which relates to this being published 1st Jan 1993. It's clearly marked as copyrighted etc so I won't link here but it refers to the Giant Colossus and SABS category 4 etc. Seems odd that so long passed from the late 1970s till it featured in 1993, but it's definitely it- thanks again

Default Loch Ness Monster (AKA SLS Gem Safe)

I was having a bit of a chuckle at the gem safe leaflet. It is quite funny. A couple of I noticed were that as regards a time lock they refer to a 2 action lock. That seems odd in such a heavy safe- not enough margin for safety. Also what they say about the actual safe locks. -The point is that they say nothing at all. Only that the safe has 2 locks as standard.

The second point is on the body construction and resistance to attack. They claim it is 12 times as resistant to attack by a lance as any banker being made at the time. So are they claiming that it resists a given lance for 12 times as long as a Chubb Bankers Treasury or a Tann BT? Frankly I don't believe a word of that- but then most of the leaflet seems to be pure fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I was having a bit of a chuckle at the gem safe leaflet. It is quite funny. A couple of I noticed were that as regards a time lock they refer to a 2 action lock. That seems odd in such a heavy safe- not enough margin for safety. Also what they say about the actual safe locks. -The point is that they say nothing at all. Only that the safe has 2 locks as standard.

The second point is on the body construction and resistance to attack. They claim it is 12 times as resistant to attack by a lance as any banker being made at the time. So are they claiming that it resists a given lance for 12 times as long as a Chubb Bankers Treasury or a Tann BT? Frankly I don't believe a word of that- but then most of the leaflet seems to be pure fantasy.
    Ok I forgive you for chuckling at the Gem claims but others on here may not ! :-)

Anyway I am reading the leaflet myself and do note the statement :
    "The thermic lance resistance of this unit is at least 12 times greater than that of any Bankers quality safe currently being manufactured"
    and I dont think there is any other way of interpretating it other taan the way you do. The chance of anyone now showing documentary proof of this claim is probably lost but you never know what may turn up.

The lock issue you raise is interesting and the leaflet reads " A safe of this standard naturally includes in its basic specification a two movement 144 hr time lock" Do you feel this lacks the security that the safe offers in other areas ? I do note that no actual lock info is stated.

Another SLS leaflet for one of their 'lesser' units, The Treasury, says about the locks " Two locks are fittted as standard using a 7 lever SLS patented high security anti drill keylock in conjunction with a 4 wheel keyless combination lock " Does this unit offer more protection than the top dog ? If so why ?

Think the best way to settle this is for someone to donate to a large SLS Gem, I have room for one :-), and we could all have a look.

The trouble with a 2 action time lock is, you wind it up and 1 action breaks. Do you set it relying on 1 action which, if it fails, is going to leave you locked out, or do you omit the time lock?

What made me laugh, mainly, was that they have photos of only 1 safe in the leaflet. I presume that that was because they had made only 1.

Thread Information