Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Those photographs do, again, show quite how difficult it is to break into a high quality safe.

For me, it shows the devastating effects of a serious attack. Conditions that allow for a lance and explosives to be used, often allow for multiple shots of explosives. It looks like you were making good headway at putting a hole through the side. The boys from Youngstown, OH, the Dinsio brothers , would be overjoyed to see this much damage. They really didn't care if they went over the UL time limits on rated safes.

Default Fichet GC68 - Asbestos.

This was omitted from the previous specification.

Between the 2 sheets of reinforced rubber is a 3mm layer of asbestos. Pourquoi?
    "Do not attempt to open this safe by violence as it may endanger your health long term."

I've come across a booklet marked confidential titled "Attaques sur les coffres-forts" as "documentation Fichet-Bauche" around 1972 which illustrates the methods normally encountered in France plus pictures of some of their in-house testing including plasma cutting and explosives and where I found something missing from my previous thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fichet brochure.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	14949

Of course if you can make repeated attacks with explosives and a packed lance you will, eventually, get into anything. How often, though, can that be done? Alarms and CCTV were invented for just this scenario.

Also what state are the contents likely to be in once the safe has been penetrated by using such methods?

Fichet-Bauche has also built the Cobra safe, a little ready at the same time I think. These safes have a wall thickness of 158 mm against 153 mm for GC68 safes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's a good one, on first impression it looks like the American market Bastille model, which was visually similar to the lower grade Chambord.
    FB like many other manufacturers used different model names for different markets, but looking at the double step door on that one it looks a different one again.

I noticed the date on the brochure does follow on from the GC68's so I'm guessing it might be the follow-on model from them, before they introduced the Euro graded models.

Default Chatwood Milner Duplextra MK3

Here's another ultimate offering from the 1960s, this time from Chatwood Milner
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14974 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	14975
    Only ever encountered a couple of these Mk3's and their boltwork is memorable- Not one to start a strip-down at 5.30pm on a Friday...
    Impressively engineered safes.

Externally the predecessor of the isolators ?

The top lock with the magnifier dial ring - is the lock any different to the normal lock ?

Chubby, my observations are only of the actual protection against explosives of the posted Fichet safe, not on how often safes are or may be attacked with explosives, or what may happen to the contents. The longest actual time available in an attack is usually limited to a weekend AKA Hatton Gardens, not infinity. Also, alarms and cameras have been beaten as well. I don't know for a fact if a second shot would have afforded a hand hole in that Fichet. It sure looks like it though. Of course, a hand hole is certainly preferable to blowing the door open (to the safe owner), which was the stated goal. Personally , I prefer to know the actual limitations of a safe in an attack that it is advertised to protect against, not just that it is difficult to open. Doug

Agreed absolutely Doug.

Of course that debacle at Hatton Gardens relied on the alarm and cameras having been left switched off!

On the hand hole attack, I had a Duplex Major once- it is a story in itself. I wanted a shelf in it and realised that I would never need to adjust the shelf so welded a piece of 6mm IT100 plate in the centre. I thought that would reduce the plunder anybody could get out as a result of a hand hole attack.

Thread Information