Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Certainly a beauty. I notice they specify that there are anchoring holes but I think those were not provided for the diamond.
    It will probably depend on how old the safe is Chubby. Back in the 70's if a safe was fixed to the floor it was classified as a build modification and therefore exempt from VAT. A loophole soon closed no doubt.

I'm new to this forum.
    I enclose a picture a Fichet safe type 242 Ter model 186 block shape. Its weight is 4850 Kg (10692 livres).
    It was for sale on a website (Le Bon Coin).
    Sorry for spelling, I use a translator.
    Winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coffre fort Fichet 242 modèle 186 bloc 1.jpg  

Hello Winter, thanks so much for posting this- what an amazing safe!
    Its easy to see why those 242s were as heavy as they were- incredibly thick door and body.
    So at last we have a type 242 'for real' and still being used, I wonder if a Le Super-Fichet will eventually show up?

Thanks again and there was no problems will your spelling or translation- all spot on!

I forgot to add this Ad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	14771

I have never seen Super Fichet safe. I have a catalog of the 20s with this print.
    Winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Fichet-min.JPG  

Thanks again Winter, that's a great picture of Le Super-Fichet.

Here is another engraving of an antique safe Arnheim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arnheim tresor 1.JPG  

I just went through this thread and have been struggling to think of any modern Mosler/ Diebold "over the top" safes and don't know of any. Both companies were already importing foreign safes for their top line jewelers grade stuff by the time I started. Many years ago I did see a huge laminated double door early 1900's Herring Hall Marvin on wheels that weighed 17,000 lbs. That one had outer doors, inner doors and an interior money chest. The total thickness to reach the interior of the money chest was at least the 6 " mark, although Tom Gordon may claim this was 3 safes not 1. Hi Tom. And of course my favorite, the Corliss. It too meets the magic number in door thickness. While it was made prior to carbide drills and oxy-acetylene, there are no known successful attacks on these safes. It's resistance to nitro was well proven in the 1892 government testing, which far exceeded what UL would have put it through. Unfortunately this one would have been a real b**** to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2915.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I just went through this thread and have been struggling to think of any modern Mosler/ Diebold "over the top" safes and don't know of any. Both companies were already importing foreign safes for their top line jewelers grade stuff by the time I started. Many years ago I did see a huge laminated double door early 1900's Herring Hall Marvin on wheels that weighed 17,000 lbs. That one had outer doors, inner doors and an interior money chest. The total thickness to reach the interior of the money chest was at least the 6 " mark, although Tom Gordon may claim this was 3 safes not 1. Hi Tom. And of course my favorite, the Corliss. It too meets the magic number in door thickness. While it was made prior to carbide drills and oxy-acetylene, there are no known successful attacks on these safes. It's resistance to nitro was well proven in the 1892 government testing, which far exceeded what UL would have put it through. Unfortunately this one would have been a real b**** to move.
    That is one safe :-) but surely at least the outer door must have been fire resisting only -especially as they only totalled 6 inches for 3 doors - I would have been expecting a total of 10+ inches.
    Regards
    Tom

Doug to be honest I had hoped that you'd trawl up a few from the likes of Diebold, Mosler etc. ;-)

But, the threads had some good discussions going though, and although fewer ultimate one-offs have showed up, there's still plenty of room for anything unusual if it's top of the range.

So, here's a rarely seen offering from Stephen Cox's little known range. The order of models back then was the Gibraltar, Baltic, Artic, Atlantic, Pacific (their jewellers quality), then the Bankers and finally their top of the range Treasury. I think it was the Pacific models and up that featured their 'Coxgear' boltwork.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	712.0 KB 
ID:	14802 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	14803

Thread Information