Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Master Lock No. 1 2275

I have a lock that I am trying to estimate its age.
    It looks like this
    http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...?sub_cat_id=D1

If you look at the bottom where the key is inserted you see 8 pins on the base. No 1 imprinted on the base above the keyhole.

2275 imprinted below the key hole. I think it is the number 2275 but the 7 is a bit worn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Master Lock No. 1 2275

Probably not very old at all then. I have no exact info as to when the master range was introduced in it's present form although I think the logo did change. Does your lock have the plastic bumper ?

No 1 is the model number, and the other number is most likely a key reference number (not a sequential serial number)

Default Re: Master Lock No. 1 2275

Actually, your lock cannot be the one in the picture because Master does not now, nor has ever, stamped the key code on the bottom of that particular model. The double bumper version has only been available for around 4 years. The single bumper version is still made today and has been made since around 1977. Before that they did not have bumpers back to 1931 and that was the first year the #1 was made.
    BBE.

Thread Information