Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help with identity of possible badge or badge plate

I was metal detecting yestersay when i found a ball of metal. I unfolded it to find what resembled a badge pattern. It measures just a littke less then 2.5" wide and high and only about 1/32" thick. I have done a little research and pretty well come up empty handed. I did find a picture of some items that look to be the same pattern. I will post a pic of them as well. They have numbers on them. Mine had a little white paint left on it in places but no other marking. It was foumd in an area close by where a civil war battle took place. Not sure that its that old but could be i really dont know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0318142247-1.jpg   IMG_7287.jpg  

They look like house numbers to me, the ones in the second picture anyway.

As you have found, that plate could have come off of just about anything. That badge shape was a pretty common shape at the turn of the last century. I have a Union Giant hit & miss gas engine from the early teens that has the serial number/identification plate in the same shape attached to the front of the water hopper. I have seen that same shape attached to a galvanized fence post with the manufacturers name on it. It's a nice find, but I doubt you will ever know for sure what it's off of, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Those sort of tags, plates and badges were, and still are, punched out in their masses by loads of companies for a multitude of uses- the shield was popular like oldbiscuit said, also discs, rectangles, scalloped edged variations etc. Plus, if it's only 1/32" of an inch thick and you found it buried in the ground then it's unlikely to be that old- brass that thin wouldn't last long unless it was bone dry in a desert!

Default No'd plates

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Fireman helmet badges!! pre 1900

Regards
    Russ

Could well be yes...

Thread Information