Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default key cutting machine

at a local flea market, a gentleman has a graham key cutting machine. I'm so far unable to find any info on it. I took several pics of the plate but only one is partly readable. I'm going back next week to get a better pic. any info or where to find the info would be helpful. thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0316141502a.jpg   0316141502.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut6999 View Post
    at a local flea market, a gentleman has a graham key cutting machine. I'm so far unable to find any info on it. I took several pics of the plate but only one is partly readable. I'm going back next week to get a better pic. any info or where to find the info would be helpful. thanks in advance.
    I can't see the actual machine in your images nor read the model number. The Graham Mfg. Co. of Derby, CT was founded in 1900 and became one of the largest manufacturers of key blanks in the country. The company closed in 1949.* I have their undated Catalog No. 44 which I suspect was issued about 1948. The thumbnail shows a page in that catalog illustrating their hand key machine, small power machine and large power key machine.

*adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd Ed. by Thomas F. Hennessy. Interestingly, I found another source which said "established 1865" and I have correspondence indicating they were still in business as late as Sept., 1950.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrahamKeyMachines.jpg  

Default thanks and sorry

sorry for the pic quality. was in a hurry when I spotted this. the tag reads established 1865, graham manufacturing co. superior ave, Cleveland oh. there is a model number, serial number and even a patent number but I'm having trouble reading them too. dam old eyes. lol the flea market is only open on the weekends so ill get better info next weekend. thanks for the reply :)

Default more info

i have a lil more info on the key machine, model number is 200, serial number 114317. I took a couple more pics, hope someone can direct me in the right direction. thanks :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-03-22 11.31.41.jpg   2014-03-22 11.23.32.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut6999 View Post
    i have a lil more info on the key machine, model number is 200, serial number 114317. I took a couple more pics, hope someone can direct me in the right direction. thanks :)
    I have some theories, did you get the patent number?

Pete Schifferli

I have one in the workshop that is almost identical. It was perhaps a generic design that was produced by a number of manufacturers?

Default thanks

Thanks :) the reason for my inquiry is i've thought about adding it to my collection, to the dismay of my wife. Lol The light and machine both work, tho the cord prolly needs replaced. It has 245 blanks with it. He wants 350.00 but id offer 200 and go no higher than 250. Thanks all for your help. :D

Apparently you didn't get the patent number, that might have helped a great deal. In any event, based upon the information provided, I'm guessing that the machine is a Cole National, rebadged as Graham. Graham did indeed have a branch office in Cleveland back in the mid twentieth century and Cole National was located there as well. I think it is possible that Graham, who was once one of the largest manufacturers of key blanks; may have provided private label keys to Cole National who never made their own. Perhaps Cole then furnished key machines which were sold under the Graham marque.

Your first image, which shows the "Keys While You Watch" globe atop the carousel appears to have the old "Mr. Key" icon used by Cole in those days barely visible on both sides. I forwarded your latest two images to James Hawkey, proprietor of Hawley Lock Supply; who deals in new and used key machines and parts and he feels 95% sure that it is indeed a Cole machine.

I further suspect that there may have been some connection to Curtis, also located in Cleveland. Parts of the machine closely resemble their carriage design and Cole National and Curtis were under the same ownership for a time back in the day. Graham also sold "Key-Matic" machines, according to their Cleveland letterhead; and this was a term apparently used by Curtis to describe theirs. I hope this may be helpful in determining the origin of your mystery machine.

Pete Schifferli

Default thanks again.

thanks pete for all ur help. I looked for the patent number. it must be on the bottom if at all, the one place I couldn't see. I really appreciate all ur info. now tell me how to talk the wife into it and it'll be in my collection LOL

My personal key machine is a Cole 3K.
    Lots of keys came out of Cleveland at one time!

Thread Information