Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need a Key for a Russwin Mortise Lock

Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone could help me find a key for this mortise lock. Markings include "RUSSWIN" on the side cover "351" inside and "92" on the brass plate. I like a challenge and all things mechanical but I scoured the internet looking how to obtain a key and spoke to several antique lock dealers without success.

The lock belongs to my next door neighbor. Almost every door has them. She is getting on in years and wanted to lock the doors to a few rooms. I told her I would help. I removed one and took pictures for your inspection.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5330.JPG   IMG_5329.JPG   IMG_5331.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by grantm View Post
    Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone could help me find a key for this mortise lock.
    That is a common single tumbler mortise inside lockset which offers little security. Try some "skeleton" keys or take it to a locksmith to have keys fitted. See thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W-06HG-400.jpg  

Thanks. The photo you posted is very helpful.

Default This is what I found

Any one better the other?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W-06HG-400PK.jpg   W-06HG-400NK.jpg   R-06DE-RLSK-1022.jpg   31Yoh0mpujL.jpg   $_12.JPG  

W-06HG-400.jpg  

Trial & error...I stock five common ones that fit most, Ilco Nos. 2B, 3B, 7B, 49B & 504 (old Taylor Nos. 501, 502, 0502, 503 & 504). See thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TaylorSK2skeletonKeyAsst.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Trial & error...I stock five common ones that fit most, Ilco Nos. 2B, 3B, 7B, 49B & 504 (old Taylor Nos. 501, 502, 0502, 503 & 504). See thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Hey Pete,

That lock has a lever in it. I don't think those warded lock keys will work well.
    BBE.

Default Open to Suggestions

Since you guys know better than me, I'll go by what you say!

The third one on the top row can mostlikely be cut to operate the lock, Where to cut and how deep could be determined easily with the cover off.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The third one on the top row can mostlikely be cut to operate the lock, Where to cut and how deep could be determined easily with the cover off.
    BBE.

Thank you for your input. Please check my first post. I believe the far right picture is what you are referring to. If not, I can upload another with what you need.

Thank you for your input. Please check my first post. I believe the far right picture is what you are referring to. If not, I can upload another with what you need.
    The far right one is not the third one. The third one is more like a blank and could be cut to operate. The far right one has been cut and there is a distinct possibility that it could have been cut too deeply.
    BBE.

Thread Information