Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question looking for opinions on dead bolt lock

Hello all, not sure if I should be posting here buy chastise me if I am in error.
    My friend has 4 custom cars in a nice building, but his entrance dead bolt is a Kwickset from the dime store.
    I suggested a better set up...& since I am the local lock collector around here, he asked for my opinion.
    He understands that I AM NOT A LOCKSMITH, but considers my opinion worthwhile..I said I would opine
    But I am seeking opinions from those more informed than I..
    My question is "which lock is more secure? a Medeco or an Abloy...Pick proof, bumpproof & in general a better choice...I realize that I may get opposing points of view...But I expect that..anyone??.........Donnie

Hi Donnie

Yes you are right, we mostly comment and discus vintage and antique topics. However I'm sure that the locksmiths that visit may comment on your topic so have moved your post to the miscilaneous section.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Hi Donnie

Yes you are right, we mostly comment and discus vintage and antique topics. However I'm sure that the locksmiths that visit may comment on your topic so have moved your post to the miscilaneous section.

Brian
    I think both are likely overkill in this situation. Most break-ins are via forcible entry and it is seldom that a lock is picked or bumped despite the hype to the contrary. I recommend 6-pin ANSI Grade 1 h.d. deadbolts of which there are many models to select from. Stanley K2 Commercial Hardware QDB100 Series is one import example. Single cylinder version lists for about $90.00, see thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f5b47888d8eb7553cc41113399cf165d.jpg  

For a start I would fit a good quality Chubb (or similar type) deadbolt - a lever lock that you probably can't even get over there but are incredibly common over here - however on that basis it's going to be unlikely that anyone over there will have the first clue (or the tools) to pick it, which is the objective after all!
    Obscurity is an invaluable tool in the implementation of security solutions...
    Plus it will be much more difficult to force than a lot of handle type sets.

Also worth bearing in mind that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link-

The '4 custom cars in a nice building' also suggests there's going to be an up/over door or roller shutter access for the cars- I'm in the UK also, so it'd be pointless suggesting locks and fittings that won't be available your side of the pond, but he'll have to consider all doors and access equally to make it effective.

It's horses for courses as the saying goes- different types of lock suit different types of doors and applications. A large sheet steel up/over door or a roller shutter need totally different thinking to the hinged wooden entrance/exit door.

Also, it's worth checking the entrance/final exit is a good solid timbered door, preferably hardwood, as it'd be pointless going to those great lengths to fit additional locks if it's a hollow door you could stick your boot through with a single kick! The thickness of the door, the width of the style etc are all things to consider when choosing a lock. Also it's essential to fit hinge bolts on the rear side of the door if it's outward opening with exposed hinges- side garage doors often are outward opening here in the UK.

I've seen Bramah MD27's shoehorned into hollow internal doors where there's only a couple of millimetres of veneer either side of the lock- a tribute to the carpentry of the person who fitted it but that's about it! a classic example of getting it wrong and leaving someone thinking they had the best but actually had nothing. I'm sure all the guys your side of the pond can make some good recommendations

Thread Information