Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Vintage Key Blank ID Help...

Can someone ID these blanks for me? Looking for info on usage and age.

The first is a very small Yale & Towne, then a slightly larger one.

Next is a Chicago Lock Company blank. Would this type blank be used for vending machines?

And last is Corbin Cabinet Lock Company blanks. Are these for safety deposit boxes?

Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0096.JPG   IMG_0098.JPG   IMG_0099.JPG   IMG_0100.JPG  

The two Yale keys are for warded padlocks, I have seen Chicago keys similar to yours used on Jennings fruit machines and also ( my memory is dim on this one) on a very early IBM PC. The Corbin key might have been used for SD boxes (I am sure others here can confirm or otherwise) but I think more likely to be for a wooden desk, filing cabinet or toolbox, I have seen them used for all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by KM02655 View Post

Next is a Chicago Lock Company blank. Would this type blank be used for vending machines?

And last is Corbin Cabinet Lock Company blanks. Are these for safety deposit boxes?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KM02655 View Post

Many thanks!
    The first two are for early (ca. 1930) Yale cast bronze lever tumbler padlocks which were made in 9 widths from 3/4" - 3" and used six different sizes of key blanks of that same type depending upon the lock.

The third is a Chicago K-4-L used on their eleven tumbler double bitted wafer locks. The L designates "off center left", also made K-4 "center groove" and K-4-R "off center right". Have a multiplicity of uses for cam, switch and vending locks. No way to determine age, they are extant to this day.

The last are flat steel key blanks, made in numerous sizes, those are most likely for steel locker locks and not safe deposit boxes. Corbin Cabinet Lock discontinued flat steel lever tumbler locks thirty or more years ago.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks for the info. I have additional vintage key blanks I will photograph and post for further identification.
    Some of the brands are;
    Independent Lock Co. ILCO,
    P&F Corbin,
    The Atlas & Ansonia Co,
    Hurd,
    Briggs and Stratton Corp,
    Fraim,
    Huber.

Thread Information