Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Brass Barrel Key with Fins

I picked these up recently and am looking for any identification information that may be out there. I had thought I'd seen something similar on the forum before, but have not been able to locate it. Also that it may be a self retaining station key, due to the square back of the widest spline? A friend suggested they may be European, possibly French and used in decent quality safe and box locks. Does anybody recognize the key?
    Thanks-Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unknown keys1.jpg   unknown keys2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post
    I picked these up recently and am looking for any identification information that may be out there. I had thought I'd seen something similar on the forum before, but have not been able to locate it. Also that it may be a self retaining station key, due to the square back of the widest spline? A friend suggested they may be European, possibly French and used in decent quality safe and box locks. Does anybody recognize the key?
    Thanks-Bill
    Definitely French. The name Fontaine or La Perche comes to mind. Hope that points you in the right direction.
    BBE.

That key reminds me of a early FICHET style key, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Definitely French. The name Fontaine or La Perche comes to mind. Hope that points you in the right direction.
    BBE.
    I did a search for Fontaine Lock. That is what it is, do a search to find it.
    BBE.

Thank you both, Mark and Billy. The search is still in the works, but here are a couple things I've got so far. All the Fontaine examples I found had grooves cut into the shaft along with the splines projecting out. While searching Fichet on E-bay France, a nice match showed up but the key was marked Pollux. I could not translate and I don't know if Pollux is related to Fichet. Searching Pollux led me to the last picture(thank you Mr.A. for granting the posting of it), a very good example of what I think I might have, only newer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fontain lock.jpg   polluxebay.jpg   Pollux101.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post
    ... I could not translate ...
    A fairly usable translation can often be done by cutting/pasting a web page's text or URL into http://translate.bing.com

I could be all wrong here, but I was thinking that the design was Fichet and Pollux made locks on Fichets design. If you Google Fichet Pollux ,you can translate the page automatically and it mentions the Pollux lock with Fichet design. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    I could be all wrong here, but I was thinking that the design was Fichet and Pollux made locks on Fichets design. If you Google Fichet Pollux ,you can translate the page automatically and it mentions the Pollux lock with Fichet design. Mark
    Boy, I missed that one by a mile. You all are correct, looks like Fichet Pollux is the right stuff.
    BBE.

Thread Information