Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help date this key

Hi there,

My husband I just picked up an old trunk from the thrift store and it came with the *I think* original key. It says Corbin New Britain Conn. on it. Any idea what year it would from? Any help is appreciated!

3517fqg 1

Quote Originally Posted by chelseacoulston View Post
    Hi there,

My husband I just picked up an old trunk from the thrift store and it came with the *I think* original key. It says Corbin New Britain Conn. on it. Any idea what year it would from? Any help is appreciated!
    It would have to be post 1879 when they started making cabinet locks. Trunk locks are a type of cabinet lock mechanism. Further dating based upon when they switched from P.&F. Corbin to just Corbin should be available but I don't have that info at hand.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    It would have to be post 1879 when they started making cabinet locks. Trunk locks are a type of cabinet lock mechanism. Further dating based upon when they switched from P.&F. Corbin to just Corbin should be available but I don't have that info at hand.
    BBE.

I believe your lock was likely made by Corbin Cabinet Lock, P & F Corbin made architectural hardware and locksets. Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. was formed in 1882 although its origins date to 1879, other divisions were P & F Corbin and Russell & Erwin Mfg. Co. The companies went through various ownership and name changes over the years. Corbin Cabinet Lock was sold to Eastern Co. in 1987 and is still in business as CCL Security Products. P & F Corbin and Russwin (Russell & Erwin) were consolidated into Corbin Russwin in 1993 as it is known today. For more detailed information about these companies see Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd ed. by Thomas F. Hennessy, pg. 38-46.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information