Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Post Antique Foster Lock

can anyone help me find info on the lock, the bottom has PAT by FOSTER, AND HAS ONE DIAL AT THE BOTTOM WITH 7 LETTERS, AND 3 NOTCHES BETWEEN EACH LETTER, WE TOOK IT TO A LOCKSMITH, AND ALTHOUGH HE IS A COLLECTOR, HE SAID HE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE IT! I HAVE HAD IT FOR OVER 40 YEARS AND IT BELONGED TO MY FATHER, THANKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails march 2014 004.JPG   march 2014 003.JPG   march 2014 005.JPG   march 2014 006.JPG   march 2014 007.JPG  

march 2014 008.JPG  

I've collected padlocks for over 40 years now and I've never seen one like it either. Can you provide some dimensions on the lock? diameter, body height, total overall height. Is the ring on the bottom the only rotating part? Are there detents in the wheel? Thanks for posting, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Antique Foster Combination Padlock

Got some information as it is N.T Foster & B.M. Dreska, Patented Date: NOV 30 1909, Patent #941570. If you open this patent #941570 as it show drawing of the lock there a small screw and I think it may be that this lock could be re-set to new number. Remember be very careful of how you take these lock apart....Timothy

Well done Timothy!
    I'd like to post your link to the image for easier access. Very nice lock...

Default Antique foster lock

Hi, I measured the diameter with a thin string (ha ha), it measures approx. 3 3/4" inches, the body alone measures approx. 1 3/8" inches, with the lock closed, the total height is approx. 2 1/2" inches. When opened it measures (when placed close together measures approx. 3 1/2"inches. The piece that goes inside (sorry don't know the word measures when outside the lock measures approx. 2"inches. THANKS for the info, can someone give me an approx. Value? Thanks again! Cat

Cat, I didn't realize you had the working combination for the lock, that's great. Value is hard to set, as I haven't seen another like it, but I'de start at $100 and I'm sure it would go up from there. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by catshort View Post
    Hi, I measured the diameter with a thin string (ha ha), it measures approx. 3 3/4" inches, the body alone measures approx. 1 3/8" inches, with the lock closed, the total height is approx. 2 1/2" inches. When opened it measures (when placed close together measures approx. 3 1/2"inches. The piece that goes inside (sorry don't know the word measures when outside the lock measures approx. 2"inches. THANKS for the info, can someone give me an approx. Value? Thanks again! Cat
    Actually what you measured was the circumference, but by your measurements the diameter should be about 1.19". Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information