Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

Howdy,

My name is Zack and I'm a full time college student (Computer Science / Math). I'm not a collector but I am interested in learning about antique locks. My dad got me into antiques so I'm pretty much just trying to learn as much as I can right now. Thanks for having me!

Default Howdy

I think you would find my book, Unlocking the Portals of History, helpful. It's a 118 page paperback book published by the San Bernardino County Museum in Redlands, California that is currently exhibiting some of my collection. It is well illustrated with one or more pictures on every page. The chapters are: 1. Ancient Locks, 2. Locks of Spain, France, and Central Europe, 3. British Locks, 4. Locks from Scandinavia and Russia, 5. Locks of Asia and the Middle East, 6. American Padlocks, 7. American Rim and Other Lock Types, 8. Keys, and ending with a Bibliography and Further Reading. This is not a price guide with "bare bones" descriptions. I have attempted to tell as much as I could about each lock and its inventor and/or maker. You may not be a collector now, but you may become one after seeing how fascinating the story of the lock and key is.
    The cost is $15.00 and I believe U.S. postage is $2.00. Of course postage outside the U.S. could be considerably more. The Museum gift shop can be contacted through eprien@sbcm.sbcounty.gov.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unlocking...cover.jpg  

Thread Information