Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Closed Vault Doors

Does anyone have pictures of closed and locked vault doors from the inside? I created a set of all the Closed Vault Doors I could find.

Here's another. It's a movie prop (like your first one) but it's reasonably good, this is from Ocean's Eleven:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ocean's Eleven 2.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	11153

Here's one from the Chicago Board of Trade. The vault has a nice round Strauss door but also this rectangular Mosler:

Name:	Chicago Board of Trade Strauss 8.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	11154

An emergency door in the Colorado National Bank:

Name:	CNB Emergency 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	457.0 KB 
ID:	11155

You already have one image of the Madison Hotel in Memphis (TN) but here's another image with different lighting. Note that some of the bolts have rotated and no longer engage their pinions:

Name:	Madison Hotel Memphis TN 3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	11156

These are great pics, thank you! I added them to the Closed Vault Doors set and the Vault Door Models set.

Does anyone have Vault Door Model pics they would like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    These are great pics, thank you! I added them to the Closed Vault Doors set and the Vault Door Models set.

Does anyone have Vault Door Model pics they would like to share?
    I've mentioned a few times that I'm saving the best for last- I've got a fully working demo of a round door (Chatwood type) still on the go- started it in 1988 or 89! Plus a working Chubb type demo Treasury, using a miniature Chubb 6-lever curtained lock I'm integrating into rack and pinion boltwork. That one I started early 90s and it already weighs over 20 kilos. The round door is back in pieces and wrapped in oily rags, and the Chubbs still way off- had to primer red oxide to stop all the welds from rusting. Both are major undertakings though, and far from photogenic but I'll look forward to (hopefully) showing them eventually

I found this one, a Bank of America in Chicago. This is not a very good picture (probably taken with a phone) but it is unusual because it was taken inside the vault with the door closed (but probably not locked). The original article is at http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news...olumns/page/2/ scroll down a bit to find it.

Name:	BofA Six Corners Chicago 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	12026

It's also possible the vault has two doors, which is unusual, and this is the "other" door which is normally left locked.

Here is a Mosler door that has been removed. The glass is in separate storage so this is a fairly good view. There are alarm contacts on the door at the top but the corresponding frame contacts are missing. There are two blocks at around 1:00 to 2:00 that might either sense the fact that the bolts are extended, and/or also make electrical contact via hollow bolts; or they are just shipping blocks.

Name:	Saint Louis 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	22007

In Madison, Wisconsin, the state capitol building has a 1910 Herring-Hall-Marvin door. It was once part of the treasurer’s office. When the treasurer moved out in 1981 the vault was removed but the door was left as an interesting artifact. The treasurer has since moved back but with no vault. This door is on the first floor, west wing. On the right side of the image you can see the bolts resting on blocks, so I'm pretty certain the door and frame are still one unit. So, technically, it's a closed vault door.

Name:	Treasurer - Madison WI.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	22804

Here is a Mosler door, photographed from the inside, closed. The building is now a church in Frankenmuth, Michigan.

Name:	Frankenmuth MI 1b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	22815

Is this a Mosler 7 Inch Vault Door?

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Is this a Mosler 7 Inch Vault Door?
    I have no idea.

Thread Information