Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Keil of New York Skelleton Key Machine #403

I have a Keil key machine that I would like to know more about. It is almost 100 years old. I know it was bought for a store in the 1920 or 1930's. Does anyone know anything more on this machine and what is it's value? I have enclosed photos.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussi View Post
    I have a Keil key machine that I would like to know more about. It is almost 100 years old. I know it was bought for a store in the 1920 or 1930's. Does anyone know anything more on this machine and what is it's value? I have enclosed photos.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately your images didn't post. I suspect #403 may be the serial number, not the model number. Known Keil machine model numbers are 00, 0, 0C, 1, 1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2, 3, 3-1/2, 4, 4-1/2, 5, 5-1/2, 6, 6-1/2, 7, 7-1/2, 8, 8-1/2, 9, 9-1/2, 10, 10-1/2, 13, 15 and 15-1/2. Numbers with 1/2 suffix denote machine mounted on a board with motor, lack of suffix indicates basic machine less motor. Francis Keil & Son Co. (Keil New York) was acquired by The Independent Lock Co. (Ilco) during the early 1930s depression years and moved its facilities to Charlestown, NH*. Some identical key duplicating machines were then sold under both the Ilco and Keil marques but with different model numbers. If you provide the model number, I may be able to provide more information on your specific machine.

*adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd Ed. by Thomas F. Hennessy.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information