Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Please help me identify this key.

In 1986, I purchased this key in an antique shop in Bavaria as part of a lot with 5 other keys of different sizes bearing the same heraldry on the bow. The collection was in a broken cardboard box buried under piles of other artifacts, The keys came with three rusty, but working locks. I thought that the bit on this key had not been cut, but it actually worked in the largest of the locks. The condition of the other keys was inferior to this one, so I segregated it from the rest & all but this key disappeared during a move.

I was told that the store had acquired them years earlier from a contractor who was working on a restoration of Neuschwanstein Castle situated about 40 miles away.

My research has revealed that the coat of arms may be associated with the castle, but nothing definitive. I have also been unable to ascertain what time period brass was used for making keys of this size. It weighs about 4 pounds with the following approximate measurements:

Bow 4” x 2 1/2”, Shaft 6”, Bit 1 1/2” X 1”.

I would greatly appreciate any help identifying this key. Thank You.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0591.jpg   DSC_0688.jpg   DSC_0561.jpg   DSC_0544.jpg   DSC_0691.jpg  

P1000637.jpg  

As the castle was built in the late 1800's I have no problem associating this type of key with a prestige building project then - although I am no expert on much older keys.
    There are quite a few other castles/holiday homes in that part of the world and it may have come off a nearby building, if you feel that the motif's don't tally.

Default Please help me identify this key.

In spite of what you were told, I believe it is very doubtful that it came from the Neuschwanstein Castle. Before responding, I looked up the coat-of-arms for both King Ludwig and Bavaria. Neither matched your key. (Both used griffins in their designs.)
    As a long time collector I have observed that it's common for dealers to say every large old key is either from a castle or jail. Once while looking at an old rim lock with a large key, the antique dealer, with a straight face, told me it was from a jail. I found this amusing since it had two door knobs. If I'm ever locked up, I hope I get one of those cells with an inside door knob.

it is surely not from neuschwanstein,
    it is also not a chamberlain key,
    it looks as a touristkey from 1950's or 1960's.

i have already seen this kind of key
    but i do not have a picture this time

what about the backside from the bow,
    is there the same heraldic or just flat?

where did you buy it in bavaria?

Interesting key- there looks to be traces soft solder flashing where the stem meets the fluting at the base of the bow and also along the key-bit? Could simply be from a very poor repair, but could be because the key has been crudely made up from separate parts.

There's always a story attached to items like this, and when it's an antique dealer selling the taller and bigger the better- I would always aim on the side that it isn't what they say it is, unless or until, it's possible to prove otherwise. I've lost count of the number of huge locks and keys I've been shown accompanied by the words 'it's from a castle...'

Realistically, I agree with the others- it's more likely that it's not from Neuschwanstein. Although the bit looks nicely made and the bow is interesting, to me it does have the look of the many 'tourist souvenir' keys that are out there.

Also I'd bear in mind that such a prized and protected site isn't likely to allow contractors to just help themselves- I know that doesn't mean that nothing (like your items) has ever left the custody of the site, but I would think it would take exceptional circumstances in the case of a site like Neuschwanstein. I used to fabricate a lot of bridge ward blanks and hand make the keys for a few of the prized Welsh castles- but I didn't end up with toolboxes full of their locks! Restoration work is just that- preserving what's there and keeping it working for future generations.

It's a lovely key and it all sounds plausible but I'd take it all with a pinch of salt. It's a shame all the locks were mislaid during a move- would have been great to have seen those as well.

These are indeed tourist keys made in Europe during the 1950's 1960's maybe a little earlier or later. A lot of them originated in Portugal. Regardless, some are still quite collectable and sell for hundreds of dollars.

W.

This is great looking key.
    But as others have stated, property at historic sites is closely guarded.
    Nice casting.
    The heraldic coat-of-arms could be researched?
    At the many government Historic sites I have worked at
    an inventory is taken both in pictures and by paper before anyone steps on site.

Thread Information