Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Foulaz Safe ???? Help Please

I have found two brass safe plates when going through my late fathers things.
    Not sure what to do with them but would love to know more about them.
    One is from a Foulaz Safe - which I can't find anywhere on the internet.
    It is solid brass and measures 15CM / 6 inches across.
    The other is from a Steel Safe and is 13 CM / 5 inches across.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ebay jan 14 004.JPG   ebay jan 14 002.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Loanhead View Post
    I have found two brass safe plates when going through my late fathers things.
    Not sure what to do with them but would love to know more about them.
    One is from a Foulaz Safe - which I can't find anywhere on the internet.
    It is solid brass and measures 15CM / 6 inches across.
    The other is from a Steel Safe and is 13 CM / 5 inches across.
    I think that there is a logo "MA" in the middle of one.
    They are both off British safes and very similar to lot of those put on fairly cheap safes of the late 1800's, but I dont recognise either design.
    Ebay is the obvious place to sell them and you will probably get more than £50 for the pair.

More than likely they're off 'badge engineered' safes typical of that period- ie; someone else's safe with someone else's name stuck on it. The company my father worked for in the late 1950s used to get them from one of the bigger manufacturers of the cheaper stuff- Samuel Withers if I remember right. They'd get the name plates cast with whatever the retailer wanted on them and for as low a run as 5 or 6 safes- it didn't have to be huge quantities.

I've seen loads of obscure 'oldies' but have never seen the name Foulaz either, so more than likely it's a company name or retailer rather than an actual manufacturer but it would be great to find out otherwise

They're nice plates anyway and something a bit different from the thousands of Milners etc that are out there

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I think that there is a logo "MA" in the middle of one.
    They are both off British safes and very similar to lot of those put on fairly cheap safes of the late 1800's, but I dont recognise either design.
    Ebay is the obvious place to sell them and you will probably get more than £50 for the pair.
    Tom thanks for you advice. It does looks like MA in the middle of the steel safe plate. On the Foulaz one it is harder to work out the initials, more like an H with a 5 or S wrapped round it?
    Free listings in Ebay this weekend so have given it a go!

Thread Information