Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 17th Century New England American Plate Locks... any info??

I recently got these 2 old door locks out of a Maine estate. They are both in working condition, but only 1 has they key. I looked online and only found one reference to these types of locks which referred to them as plate locks. They seem very interesting and very primitive in design. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they rare? Do they have any value?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2231 (Large).JPG   IMG_2232 (Large).JPG   IMG_2233 (Large).JPG   IMG_2234 (Large).JPG   IMG_2235 (Large).JPG  

IMG_2236 (Large).JPG   IMG_2237 (Large).JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Savinghistory View Post
    I recently got these 2 old door locks out of a Maine estate. They are both in working condition, but only 1 has they key. I looked online and only found one reference to these types of locks which referred to them as plate locks. They seem very interesting and very primitive in design. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they rare? Do they have any value?
    Try looking for Stock Locks or Banbury Locks as that is what some call them.
    BBE.

Surprisingly I found the best description of a plate lock in a book on doorknobs - Antique Builders' Hardware knobs and Accessories by Maud L. Eastwood (1982). Below is a copy of that page. Incidentally, I think a 17th century date is too early.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plate locks.jpg  

Locks of this type are relatively easy to make for a skilled blacksmith. Time consuming but not difficult. From what I have read, the basic design is French and goes back to the 15th Century at least. That is not say those locks are anywhere that old. How old is the house? Does it pre-date the French and Indian War? Ed Donaldson has a website of antique lock hardware he sells and would be the one to ask about value. Scott, I have just found that James Patterson was listed as a lock maker in Pittsburgh in the 1815 directory. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Locks of this type are relatively easy to make for a skilled blacksmith. Time consuming but not difficult. From what I have read, the basic design is French and goes back to the 15th Century at least. That is not say those locks are anywhere that old. How old is the house? Does it pre-date the French and Indian War? Ed Donaldson has a website of antique lock hardware he sells and would be the one to ask about value. Scott, I have just found that James Patterson was listed as a lock maker in Pittsburgh in the 1815 directory. Doug
    Interesting. Keep up your good research! The lock and key collecting hobby needs more people like you. I think it's sad that for many they're only interested is how much can I get for my lock.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Locks of this type are relatively easy to make for a skilled blacksmith. ... the basic design is French and goes back to the 15th Century at least. That is not say those locks are anywhere that old. ... James Patterson was listed as a lock maker in Pittsburgh in the 1815 directory. Doug
    Many Huguenot French/Dutch, and also German Protestant immigrants went to America and made European-style locks, mainly from 17C onwards, centred on Pennsylvania. The simplified style of these suggests later rather than early, so first half of 19C probably about right. Not rare, but not surviving in large numbers.

You would need to ask an American antique dealer if it has any value; indeed, as suggested, try EdDonaldson.
    And btw - excellent clear photos, witha scale. Well done and thanks.

Thread Information