Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mystery combo change key

This ones really got me guessing- was sorting through a box of assorted combination change keys and came across this 'baby':
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	10933

It's like a standard S&G key for the 6730 3-wheel but its much smaller- the business end square section is considerably smaller as well.

Name:	CK2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	10934

At first I thought of an 'economy' range that S&G made in zinc-passivated pressed steel. I saw a few on wall-mounted key boxes back in the 1980s here in the UK. I think it was Securikey that offered them as a combo alternative to the Dom pin-tumbler camlocks they used as standard. Anyway I since remembered that the change keys for those were a round section with two flats, and I've since found one, leaving me more mystified as to what it's from?

Name:	CK3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	10935

That looks like a change key for an S&G 8077/8088 padlock. It might be an early version (or it's not S&G), all the ones I have also include a screwdriver tip on the other end to manipulate the change-key-hole "door".

Is there any sign that the screwdriver bit has been broken off? perhaps by abuse? otherwise, as wylk says it looks identical to the 8077 key. The screwdriver is for the cover retaining screw and quite easy to sheer off if the operator is a bit heavy handed. The elbow is used to open the little shutter and is more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    That looks like a change key for an S&G 8077/8088 padlock. It might be an early version (or it's not S&G), all the ones I have also include a screwdriver tip on the other end to manipulate the change-key-hole "door".

That little key is for several small Diebold round doors. S&G did make the wheels and if not mistaken they are the same as used in the 8077 lock. Doug

Just to be thorough, here are the instructions for the 8088 and 8077:

630-132_8088_instructions.pdf
    630-159_630-278_8077_pad.pdf

And just today I noticed an eBay auction for a Diebold key, stated to be for the 1900 and 178 locks:

Name:	1900 and 178 change key.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	10942

Thanks for all your replies guys- it didn't even enter my head that it might be for a padlock- we've never seen that many combo padlocks here compared to their popularity in the US, and the ones I've encountered typically use crude pins for combo changing like the Sesamee, or use a quarter turn and shackle push/pull idea like on the the Abus. The flat 'wing' projection which prevents removal when it's turned in the lock is very short- much shorter than the Diebold and the others I have, and the plating on the tail end is intact- it hasn't broken off to suggest it had the screwdriver tip at the other end- Now I've got my own mystery of where the heck did I get it from- I saw a few round door money chests in the 1980s but was never asked to work on them, I only ever opened and serviced a few Diebold fireproof filers which had the full size locks

Default Mystery combo change key

They should have stamp number on key change read 8077 or 8077/8088. I have some of them change key and yes they are use for 8077, 8088 and some Diebold safe. I use to do a lot of those 8077 and 8088 S & G Padlock just a long as reading the information of how to change combination and I mean read it. I have see so many people screw up as they don't read is as it said......Timothy.....

Thread Information