Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Remind me how to change Combination of Fichet 7 wheel Comb Lock

Found this Fichet 7 wheel comb lock and just basically would like to be reminded of Com change procudure so I can make sure its working before I sell it; anybody out there help? I remember all the slots in the backplate of lock have to line up but as to if the bolt has to be thrown or not I have just forgotten I did find a copy on the web of the first USA patent for it dated I think 1976 well it was in the 70’s and it did explain how to change com but as it was crouched in techno speak it was not much help.
    Regards All ant

Regards All Ant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear of lock Bolt retracted .jpg   Looking down on Dial and top of lock.jpg  

Default Fichet Com

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Found this Fichet 7 wheel comb lock and just basically would like to be reminded of Com change procudure so I can make sure its working before I sell it; anybody out there help? I remember all the slots in the backplate of lock have to line up but as to if the bolt has to be thrown or not I have just forgotten I did find a copy on the web of the first USA patent for it dated I think 1976 well it was in the 70’s and it did explain how to change com but as it was crouched in techno speak it was not much help.
    Regards All ant

Regards All Ant
    Just Remembered Is it that you turn the slot to horizontal (where the Split pin Is) then dial in new Numbers? then turn it back after leaving on last number (click) Just a Flash of thought!

Sounds right to me. Note the tiny coil spring that will disappear if back cover is removed. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1476.jpg   DSCN1488.jpg   DSCN4619.jpg  

This should help.
    Last edited by Ian D. Lewis; 05-02-14 at 04:22 PM.

I have one of these but unfortunately it looks like this at the moment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3008.JPG  

Default Fichet Com Lock

Thanks Ian I thought you might know where to find the relervent Documents. Also Looking at your atached picture of the lock youv’e reminded me of my first encounter with one of these locks and I had no Idea how they worked. So was left with lock that was totally useless after I removed the back cover and I think I had to replace with a new one
    And yes Doug I probably lost more than that spring you mention Once again Thanks for the quick responce
    Regards all Ant

Thread Information