Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early Chubb 5-Lever Deadlock

Here's another I found while looking through all my old Chubb boxes.

Can't remember the number of this lock- I've had a totally memory blank, but I can remember these were the fore-runners to the well known (and brilliant) 3G114 deadlocks- slight difference in build though- this is very heavy gauge steel and brass, the forend is nearly half a centimetre thick and is screwed to the case via heavy brass blocks, and it weighs in at 3/4 of a kilo! Has no bolt thrower like the later 3G114s but has 2 small collar wards, false notches and a monitor lever in the pack Wish I'd included a steel rule for size reference as it's pretty big- there's enough metal in this to make a modern euro grade safe....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb DLock 1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	10689 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb DLock 2.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	10690 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb DLock 3.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	10691 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb DLock 4.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	10692

Two euro graded safes ......

I have the single sided detector version of that and it's a 3g90/1 according to the label on the box.

Thanks oldlock- 3G90 sounds right- I was thinking 3G60 but I think that's a horizontal mortise, or perhaps thats the 3J60- my memories gone- If only Chubb had the sense to use a logical numbering system like Bramah's

What a lump!

Certain elements of it remind me a little of the double mechanism custodial grill/gate lock that I have next to me. The key blank is very similar even though decades might well separate them...
    Last edited by Arcade Al; 29-01-14 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default Re. the Chubb deadlock

It may well be the 3G90/1
    But I'm almost sure the double sided version of this lock was call the 3G 85
    Then to confuse matters even more you have a version of this lock that was used for the early Chubb size 5 wall safe with a different forend, The G letter in the number system always stood for a dead bolt lock as per 3G110 or 3G114 The J for the Horizontal configured mortise latch lock as in 3J60 and the K as in 3K70 upright mortise lock Then you have the Chubb hook bolt lock in the Castle range and though I still have one of those somewhere I can remember the number of this type of lock Does any one remember the forerunner of the Chubb lower range of lock that was launched before the 114 style “the Blue flash range” where the lockcase was a bright blue and it had a plastic thrower and the edge of the lock case too was plastic I can’t say I seen one of these since about 1964
    Sorry Max Iv'e reread yor post and think perhaps that you may have it around the wrong way as the Lock you show came before the 3G110 castle range, then the short lived Blue flash range which I only remember seing locally in the midlands then the cheaper range of the 3G114 and 3K74 which was the answer to the 3K70 in the castle range
    Last edited by Ant; 29-01-14 at 12:47 PM. Reason: looked properly at first post

Default Another pre castle range Chubb Lock

I have been out in the and stumled across an old Chubb 3M51 and suddenly remembered another Chubb Classic that was used a lot in conjunction with the 3G90 that Max shows it was of course the wonderful little 3R10 Which was you will all remember the old version of the 3R35 with a quite large rounded latch bolt though of course with normal steel key and single ward next to the pin just the same as as the ward in the lock max has shown. You do still spot these but normally its on a building that perhaps was a bank but closed probably 50 years ago now.

Yes Al- quite a few custodial locks are similar heavy build and finish

Wow Ant! I lost count of how many 'blasts from the past' I read in there! Yes I sure remember and did have old bangers laying around of most of them. Those Blue Flash Chubbs were seriously rare! I Never did get my hands on one of those and I can't remember the last 3R10 I saw but I can vaguely remember the lock

I have just acquired a boxed lock that is very similar to this one, although it's a bit newer and has a fair bit less brass!

It's labelled as a 3G85/1 "Castle" Mortice Deadlock. Pictures to follow but here is the listing that it was on:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Ch...vip=true&rt=nc

They were kind enough to send another very similar lock free of charge, it's single sided but otherwise very much the same age - markings on the forend are different.

Nice one Al- both original keys and boxed as well

Nice piece again Max, thanks for sharing

Thread Information