Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Corbin Lock Key for a Tackle Box

I have a "Kennedy Kits" Style 621 Fishing Tackle Box from the 1920's with a Corbin Lockable latch. The Corbin lockable latch is missing the key.

The Locking Latch is stamped "Kennedy", but was made bu Corbin,aka Corbin Russwin. The Lock is also stamped "0X1" under the latch.

Does anyone know the appropriate Key Blank for this Corbin Lock and/or whether there is a generic key that opens the "0X1" Corbin Lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kennedy Stamped on Center Latch.JPG   OX1 Lock.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by LaneFowler View Post
    I have a "Kennedy Kits" Style 621 Fishing Tackle Box from the 1920's with a Corbin Lockable latch. The Corbin lockable latch is missing the key.

The Locking Latch is stamped "Kennedy", but was made bu Corbin,aka Corbin Russwin. The Lock is also stamped "0X1" under the latch.

Does anyone know the appropriate Key Blank for this Corbin Lock and/or whether there is a generic key that opens the "0X1" Corbin Lock?
    That would be Corbin Cabinet Lock, not Corbin Russwin, but a one-time affiliate. That OX1 is likely a key code however I can't find any reference to it in my usual sources. I've heard that Kennedy can provide replacement keys for any of their goods, but I doubt they have anything that old; it might be worth a try however! Any competent locksmith should be able to make you a key.

Pete Schifferli

Default Corbin Cabinet Lock Key - 0X1

Thanks Pete:

Kennedy has no data on the key. They can confirm that the Tackle Box dates to the "early 1920's"

Corbin Russwin did refer me to "CCL" or Corbin Caninet Locks. They also had no data, but did suggest measuring the length of the keyway and searching the after-market for Flat Steel Keys of the same size, i.e., Ilco.

The length of the keyway is approximately 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch long.

Do any of you all have any idea as to the correct key blank?

Updated photos attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Latch Outside.JPG   Top Latch.jpg   Bottom Latch - Inside.JPG   Keyway is 5-16th.JPG  

The beauty of working with flat steel keys is the number of blank choices that will work for you. The picture is from an old ILco cat. and is just an example. As long as the metal is not too thick a gauge to fit the slot, any oversize blank can be cut or filed down to your dimensions. All but one of the blanks pictured could be sized to fit your lock. Were you going to fit the key yourself, or were you hoping to have the proper blank with you when you visit the local locksmith shop? Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img015.jpg  

Default Ilco Blanks for Corbin Latch Lock

bbcci: Thank You. I was hoping to identify the correct blank in order to attempt to make a key myself with a thought that maybe only a simple single cut would be required (I am probably over-simplifying).

It is more than likely that I will require the help of a lock-smith. However, it would be great to have the blank in-hand when walking in the door and/or to discuss up-front.

In the diagram you sent, I am assuming the top row of measurements represents the width of the key that relates to the lenght of the key-slot while the bottom row represents the the thickness of the guage of the metal??

Question... What is the small point on the end of these blanks? Is there a small hole inside the lock that aligns with these points?

Can a novice really make thier own key with the proper blank using a hacksaw or a dremil tool?

Hey Lane,
    I don't know what the proper term for the little nub on the end of the blank, but yes-there will be a receiving hole in the lock, it keeps the key in proper alignment while turning. If the nub on your blank is too big, a little filing is easily done. Yes, if you own a Dremel and a few small files, I think you could make this happen. I will send you a pm in a little bit with some thought on what to do next. Bill

I was searching for the same topic/ question but this page really satisfied me with the details which are very much important as well as will help others also.

SEO Freelancer
    galapagos tours
    Oak Furniture
    SAS
    HADOOP

Additional measurements associated with keyway..

The hole that would align with the "nose" on the key is definitely at the top of the keyway slot.

I inserted a toothpick into the keyway. When inserted into the hole, the "Total Depth" appears to be 7/16 of an inch.

When the toothpick is in the slot, but not in the hole, the "Flag-Depth" depth appears to be 5/16 of an inch. Hence, the "hole" inside the keyway that aligns with the "nose" on the key would appear to be 1/8 of an inch seep. .

An additioan; picture of the inside of the lock (cleaned up a bit) is also attached.

Anyone have further thoughts on the correct key for this lock?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Total depth 7-16 & 5-16.JPG   Inside Lock.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by LaneFowler View Post
    Anyone have further thoughts on the correct key for this lock?
    Thanks in advance.
    I found an image of a Corbin Cabinet Lock No. 1835 general utility box lock in a 1960s distributor catalog that appears to be much like yours. This takes their No. 4140A flat steel key blank, see image attached. I believe that long obsolete blank was .050" thick x .245" wide thus any similar blank like Ilco 615 or 1225 could be cut back slightly to fit. Since the lock apparently has only one lever and and one key change you might be able to make a key using the image profile as a guide. This is something an experienced locksmith could easily do.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCL1835generalUtilityBoxLock.jpg  

Thread Information