Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Early Chubb 1K55 Stainless Steel Hercules- a beauty!

Thought I'd dig this one out to show you as it's one of my favourites and I don't think Chubb made very many- they soon switched to a different design which led on to the big block with the sliding locking pin recessed into the back, replacing the shackle entirely and turning the Hercules into more of a lockable brick. I think I have one of each type, so I'll see if I can find the others.

Far from antique I know, but for me this has to be one of the most beautiful modern padlocks- almost bordering on art/sculpture- and it's in stainless steel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	10595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	10596
    The telephone number for a London W1 address amazed me- I'd forgotten the mini leaflet was in the box

Name:	CH3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	10597 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	10598
    Had it from new- it's never been used and I can't say I've ever seen another, although I'm sure they must be out there

Very nice. Not one I own yet, they do seem to be thin on the ground...

The only place I have ever seen them "In the wild" is on Cold War RAF munitions stores... I have a photo somewhere.

It's strange really that this lock bears very little resemblance to the modern 1K55 Hercules... in fact it's much more similar to the modern Chubb Conquest 1K12...

That's very nice, I used to have one of those and one of the cast stainless steel version too.

Al- it's like they done a full circle of starting with a padlock with shackle and finally ended up going back to it. I think I have one of the type that followed on from this- years since I've seen it, but world's apart anyway- Ugly round case if I remember right, with the recessed sliding locking pin like the later rectangular version. Awful paint on it- it never really seemed to take to the castings from day one, and my boxed example which has hardly seen the light of day is in pretty poor shape. I'll see if I can dig it out. I've got one of the later 'brick' versions on my shed and the paint on that wasn't much better!

Oldlock-cast version in stainless sounds interesting- unaware of that one- was that before or after this one?

The cast stainless was afterwards I think. Painted finished but otherwise very similar looking.

Here is one I just got. I was told it was a military lock.

Name:	Chubb-Military.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	10994

Yup, the crowsfoot? by the CHUBB logo denotes it as a lock used for the military/govt.

Called the 'Broad Arrow' mark.

Check :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_a...nment_property

For a little bit of history about it.

Have a close look at the keys too, the earliest Ava stuff that ten depths rather than the later 5. I've yet to see one in the flesh yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Riyame View Post
    Yup, the crowsfoot? by the CHUBB logo denotes it as a lock used for the military/govt.
    And that looks like a NATO stock number at the top as well.

Thread Information