Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My reply should have been in the past tense, of course it would no longer be in production with the demise of the chubb name.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    My reply should have been in the past tense, of course it would no longer be in production with the demise of the chubb name.
    Yes, I did assume past tense, but I still wasn't aware that any rubbish disguised as Chubb had been in production in China, even before the demise of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    On a similar line, what is this Chubb badged lock here:
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171233482060

It couldn't ever be described as an attractive lock!
    This looks like the American Locks Padlock that was rebadged Chubb and came with a Corbin Cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    same for me Adrian- I know it's nothing compared to a real classic antique, but I loved it when I first saw it as a kid and kept it ever since. It's one I'll probably never part with and compared to what the Hercules evolved into its got a beautiful shape and finish
    Attachment 10871
    Can't fault this one though- still in daily service even if it has got the aesthetics and charm of a house brick. Chubb's so-called 'spheroidal graphite iron' they supposedly used for these is in fact about as soft and porous as a house brick
    So I didn't take any chances on this one- I drilled it at strategic points and filled it with Deloro stellite plugs
    Still available but with a Union core now, and called the Union 1K57 Hercules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UNION 1K57 Hercules.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D. Lewis View Post
    This looks like the American Locks Padlock that was rebadged Chubb and came with a Corbin Cylinder.
    I thought the core resembled something else, but all I could think was Medeco and knew that couldn't possibly be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D. Lewis View Post
    Still available but with a Union core now, and called the Union 1K57 Hercules.
    It was available with a 6-pin core back when Chubb produced it, I could never work out why anyone would choose that over the AVA...

The AVA core is also still available, at least according to the Union site:
    http://www.uniononline.co.uk/en/site...productId=1323

Like all the other Chubb top of the range locks they are now Badged as Union C-Series, for the AVA version. Only thing is they don't seem to be openly selling the Hercules as a C-Series. Probably a cost thing and requires special order and a long wait.

I chose the 6 pin version of this lock over the ava for my own garage because the ava (although very resistant to dirt and water and corrosion) is often a bit of a pain to operate on these padlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I chose the 6 pin version of this lock over the ava for my own garage because the ava (although very resistant to dirt and water and corrosion) is often a bit of a pain to operate on these padlocks.
    True, although testing one of my own I find that when the barrel is facing downwards it effortlessly drops downwards when the key is turned, however when oriented sideways it sometimes catches a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    True, although testing one of my own I find that when the barrel is facing downwards it effortlessly drops downwards when the key is turned, however when oriented sideways it sometimes catches a little.
    That's probably just gravity doing it's job Al unless yours is sticking or has a fault. Mines mounted horizontally- didn't have any choice as it's on a wacky application and a custom fitting I welded up in stainless, but I think they're originally intended for vertical mounting so the cylinder drops down to unlock. The brick versions have a much sharper chamfer angle on the top edge to deflect any downward impact blows.

Mine gets all the weather thrown at it but it's always sweet to use- plenty of graphite in the Ava and white grease inside on the 2 locking balls and I never have any trouble. Like Tom said though, they can be a bit of a pain when it's dark, tipping down with rain and you've got your hands full

Default I have this padlock

I had inherited the 1k55 a couple of years ago and alway thought it was a great design, glad to know some history.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Thought I'd dig this one out to show you as it's one of my favourites and I don't think Chubb made very many- they soon switched to a different design which led on to the big block with the sliding locking pin recessed into the back, replacing the shackle entirely and turning the Hercules into more of a lockable brick. I think I have one of each type, so I'll see if I can find the others.

Far from antique I know, but for me this has to be one of the most beautiful modern padlocks- almost bordering on art/sculpture- and it's in stainless steel
    Attachment 10595 Attachment 10596
    The telephone number for a London W1 address amazed me- I'd forgotten the mini leaflet was in the box
    Attachment 10597 Attachment 10598
    Had it from new- it's never been used and I can't say I've ever seen another, although I'm sure they must be out there

Thread Information