Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I would agree, my notes suggest the 8400 series was introduced in 1948. The earliest patent filing date is early 1949. Of course they could have been fitted to armories and such later on.

Attachment 10647
    Yes I dare say you're right, they would have been retro-fitted as a security upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Riyame View Post
    Well as suggested by another person on another forum, it could have been the key to access an enigma machine. I am sure that they would have wanted the best lock money could buy to protect them from anybody and everybody.
    I doubt that the Bode-Panzer Tangential lock was used to secure enigma machines.

The wooden box or suitcase that typically held the machine usually had only a basic keyless catch, or sometimes a simple warded lock with a flat steel key.

The machines themselves were typically carried by mobile forces. In the case of Army Enigma, the machine was usually kept in a communications wagon. This wagon was ( in theory) always manned & there were strict orders to destroy the enigma machine should it be likely to fall into enemy hands.

A lot of the cypher security of the machine relies upon the fact that there are so many states/settings (choice of rotors, start positions, ring settings & plugboard links) to which the machine can be set to before encoding a message. This is the encryption key.

There are an immense number of these settings & this was assumed to provide great security . Without these settings, mere posession of an enigma machine was considered almost useless in terms of code breaking, although research in Poland, Bletchley Park & elsewhere refuted this.

The rotors to be used on a given day, their settings & the plugboard links were usually held in codebooks & they had to be very closely guarded. I would not be surprised if these codebooks were often kept in a safe equipped with the Bodepanzer tangential lock, or other high security lock. Protection of the codebooks was considered far more important than protection of the machine itself.

...mercury

Default Tangential Lafette

Hi guys,
    I think, this is, what you have been discussing.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf01.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	10717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf02.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	10718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf03.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	10719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf04.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	10720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf05.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	10721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf06.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	10722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laf01.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	10717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BodePanzerVaultOrderBlacka.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	10723
    This is my stand of a 40 cm long Tangential Lafetten, which I took off myself of a vault door, which is now scrapped. This was in 2008 - the vault area was two vaults, with almost the same door.
    I also have the 40cm override key, which could have been used, if there had been a malfunction with the other lock or combination.
    It is consecutive numbers with the Lafetten key.
    I have never seen a longer "Tang" key than that.
    The original contract gives proof, that it had been used during the Third Reich by the Nazis.
    Enjoy.
    Whoever is interested in "Tangs".......

Thanks Oli. I must admit I greatly prefer those small solid keys over the folding ones that came with the locks from Roland.

Thumbs up Many thanks

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for all the information, research,time and the wonderful pictures that you guys have provided. As you know I originally posted this question on another site and was directed here. The posting on the other site generated over 1000 views in less than three days and is now approaching 1500. I'm sure that there are many more people that are now aware of this great, knowledgeable site (Antique-locks) and have probably joined as a result. Once again, to all the contributors. THANK YOU. Neilau

Very interesting thread and thank you Oliver for the pictures and information. Strange though that they go to all that trouble and engineering and then have a override key.

Indeed it is a Bode Panzer lock, I have a lock and key and it is one of my dearest locks!

Thread Information