Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique key

Default Antique key

Anyone recognize it?
    4 " (10,2 cm) long. 1,48 once
    (42
    grs) weight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Somehow it looks too perfect, not as in a fake, just not hand made. And I am not sure how it was made. My guess is 1800's French. Doug

For me there's just too many aspects that don't seem right- the shapes and angles appear way too sharp and defined suggesting no wear or ageing at all. The thin ornamental flange just down from the bow on the tapered section is incredibly thin and yet shows no signs of being worn or distorted. Also, the two circular cut-outs in the bow look to be countersunk to me- it's difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but that's what the surface finish reminds me of. Where these meet the flat of the bow looks way too sharp and defined for a key of that sort of age- even if it was really well looked after I'd still expect some loss of definition on those areas. Interested to see what everyone else thinks- it is a nice key though- has a nice shape to it

I agree it's a nice-looking key but it doesn't look entirely key-like. To me, it seems more like something to access utility devices (meters, for example). Or perhaps emergency opening of elevator doors from the outside, which would explain its pristine condition.

Not entirely key-like?????
    Last edited by Doug MacQueen; 19-01-14 at 07:36 PM. Reason: To add more question marks

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Not entirely key-like?????
    OK, I deserve the question marks.

With a pin-tumbler lock you would normally expect to see several cuts of different depth. With a lever lock (e.g. of safe-deposit variety) you would also expect to see different cuts. But with this key all that's there is more or less a blunt shape with a thin ward. To me it just looks more like a tool than a key, though I agree I may be bending the definition of "key".

well a key does, at least in my small mind qualify as a tool, but it may behoove you to pay a wee bit attention to the postings of about the warded keys. Profile warding of the blades of the keys was very popular, especially amongst the Italians. Just sayin. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    For me there's just too many aspects that don't seem right- the shapes and angles appear way too sharp and defined suggesting no wear or ageing at all. The thin ornamental flange just down from the bow on the tapered section is incredibly thin and yet shows no signs of being worn or distorted. Also, the two circular cut-outs in the bow look to be countersunk to me- it's difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but that's what the surface finish reminds me of. Where these meet the flat of the bow looks way too sharp and defined for a key of that sort of age- even if it was really well looked after I'd still expect some loss of definition on those areas. Interested to see what everyone else thinks- it is a nice key though- has a nice shape to it
    I disagree, look at picture #4. The operating end of the bit has three distinct areas and the two at the ends show wear which can also be seen along the top edge of that view. That corner of the bit is not a straight line but looks like it once was. The wear on both ends of the bit suggests a double bolt, OR more likely a single bolt operated from both sides of a door equally.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    I disagree, look at picture #4. The operating end of the bit has three distinct areas and the two at the ends show wear which can also be seen along the top edge of that view. That corner of the bit is not a straight line but looks like it once was. The wear on both ends of the bit suggests a double bolt, OR more likely a single bolt operated from both sides of a door equally.
    BBE.
    Yes I can see the visible signs at the working end- there's also a visibly brighter 'band' around the pin level with the bit- suggesting the key has been left in the lock for some time, allowing the rest that's exposed to discolour and corrode slightly more.

It's the other half of the key that's odd to me- what are your thoughts on the stem and bow BBE?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    It's the other half of the key that's odd to me- what are your thoughts on the stem and bow BBE?
    No sign of wear at all. The bow does look countersunk, I've seen that before and it gives a great look. It is surprising that with the wear on the bit there really doesn't seem to be any on the shank. Maybe the lock was on display somewhere and no chance of rubbing anywhere except in the lock body. It is curious.
    BBE.

Thread Information