Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default For Sale - Willo Products Jail Key

I am a housewife, new to this site, new to key collectors. I was cleaning out an old sewing box and found a large (about 4-1/2" long) brass key. My husband had no idea what it might open, and I certainly didn't. There is an "A" cut out in the head? of the key, which is also inscribed WILLO PRODUCTS DECATUR, ALA. There is a number struck on the shaft? that appears to be some kind of unique ID number. A quick Google search lead me to believe that this is a jail key, which in turn lead me to you folks. Please let me know if this might have any value or might be of interest to a collector. The key is perfectly straight, but does have dark and light spots, and has what may be corrosion at the bottom where the key goes into the lock. Thanks.

Thanks for the interesting description - is it possible to also post a picture...

Will try to send photos in the next couple of days. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Passingthrough View Post
    I am a housewife, new to this site, new to key collectors. I was cleaning out an old sewing box and found a large (about 4-1/2" long) brass key. My husband had no idea what it might open, and I certainly didn't. There is an "A" cut out in the head? of the key, which is also inscribed WILLO PRODUCTS DECATUR, ALA. There is a number struck on the shaft? that appears to be some kind of unique ID number. A quick Google search lead me to believe that this is a jail key, which in turn lead me to you folks. Please let me know if this might have any value or might be of interest to a collector. The key is perfectly straight, but does have dark and light spots, and has what may be corrosion at the bottom where the key goes into the lock. Thanks.
    Just did a search and found them, see the link.

http://www.willoproducts.com/

In looking over their web page my suspicions were confirmed. Willo is like many distributors of jail hardware and fittings. The key you describe is a Folger Adam key for a lever lock. Usually, most jail people call that key paracentric because of the shape of the keyway which meets the definition of paracentric.

paracentric adj. 1. of or pertaining to a keyway with one or more wards on each side projecting beyond the vertical center line of the keyway to hinder picking 2. of or pertaining to a key blank made to enter such a keyway

It used to be common practice for distributors to mark all of the products they distributed with their company name. The idea was to get people to come back to them for replacement parts and keys because they had the records and could typically ship quicker than someone who didn't.

A typical Folger Adam key sells for around $30.00, I don't know if the Willo marking adds or detracts from the value.
    BBE.

Thanks for the information. Interesting stuff - I may become a key collector! Should have photo soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key Head 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	10537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key Bottom.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	10538 I realize these are not good quality, but perhaps will suffice for identification (if you squint). Thanks again for allowing me to join in briefly.

Thread Information