Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default D.R.Patent in Bulgaria from 1825?

Greetings from Bulgaria

My last client call me for a safe opening in Sliven - a city in Bulgaria.
    We take the call,open the safe and make two keys for it.
    I am not positive that the numbers on the back plate "1825" is the year of production.
    One of the most famous master of safes in Bulgaria from this period is Mr.Burdjev.The lock ( in my opinion) come from central Europe.
    The opinion of George (friend and colleague) is - Austrian lock - in connection with first train in Bulgaria own by Hirsh.
    The only sign is "D.R. Patent "and number like 7776 on the back plate.
    I am very interesting to know what is the meaning of D.R.?And appr. the year of production.
    The lock was in very good condition.The keys are double bitted with different attacks to the tumblers (similar to MEDECO but with no pins).The locks is made by two diferent cylinders with direct action to the bolts with no handle on the door.When the key is turning locking and unlocking the safe.
    Thanks in advance for any help to solve this mystery!

DR is Deutches Reich - German State. It dates the lock much later than 1825. Did you get the chatwood open ? Any pictures of this lock ?

Paul

Thanks!
    Make sens now.
    About Chatwood:
    The person with the key for the room with the safe went to vacation again.
    After my small research regarding the safe the director dissaid-every time wenn I want to get to safe I have to call and work on front of this person!
    This desigion reflect only in to my job becouse is diffikult to catch this "gard" of museum.
    Once is open I will send pictures to the forum.
    I do have pictures of D.R. For some reason the size of the pictures is to big for the forum.
    I will try again.
    Dimo

Some pictures of the D.R.Patent safe.

I think it's a Kromer protector lock, about 1890 - 1910 in date.

Hi Dimo,

What you have in your hands is a famous "Kromer Protector" lock - no mistake. The model was patented in 1874 and (with some modifications) was in production for more then one century (!) and it was considered unpickable. They stopped production only few years ago so you can find them all over the place (many big names were using Kromer's locks in their safes: Chubb/Chatwood/Milner/Etc). You can find really interesting article on this subject here at http://www.antique-locks.com/kromerchubb.htm (thanks Paul!)

Btw, company is based in DE, where your lock was probably made. After few changes of ownership it is now integrated into Lebtig GmbH (http://www.lebtig.de) and it does not operate under Kromer name anymore - sad.

Also, I'm not sure if you know but you still can order original key blanks from Kromer(i.e. Lebtig) for your Protector lock. These keys look really great ! There is an online catalog on their website as well - take a look.

One question 4 u: On the picture No2 there is apparently an original key and then on picture No3 there are 2 hand made keys (which cutting is not the same like the one on No2 :-). So what is the answer to that mystery ?

Fyi, we are all waiting for the epilog of your Chatwood story. Do not forget to submit a lot of photos ! :-)

Greetings from BE

Default Kromer serials

Hi Dimo,

I checked in my papers( I have some page copies from the production books of Kromers factory)
    The nearest serial I can check is 6790 delivered Oct 1884, so your 7776 should be 1885 or 1886 sthg like that. Does not really help, but might be interesting.

Oliver

Dear Oliver

Thanks for the info.
    It lucks like this locks it use to be very famouse in Bulgaria from the past.
    So far ot the moment more than 3 safetechnition from Bulgaria share with me about D.R.Patent locks from different part of the country!
    The customer it will be happy to know from what kind of safe locks is this!
    Very soon I will post to the forum some antique keys and locks from my frends locksmiths in Bulgaria.Some of them is for sell.
    One of the locks is stamped like Bond Street!
    Thanks again.
    Best regards
    Dimo

Default Re: D.R.Patent in Bulgaria from 1825?

Quote Originally Posted by KLUCHAR
    Greetings from Bulgaria

My last client call me for a safe opening in Sliven - a city in Bulgaria.
    We take the call,open the safe and make two keys for it.
    I am not positive that the numbers on the back plate "1825" is the year of production.
    One of the most famous master of safes in Bulgaria from this period is Mr.Burdjev.The lock ( in my opinion) come from central Europe.
    The opinion of George (friend and colleague) is - Austrian lock - in connection with first train in Bulgaria own by Hirsh.
    The only sign is "D.R. Patent "and number like 7776 on the back plate.
    I am very interesting to know what is the meaning of D.R.?And appr. the year of production.
    The lock was in very good condition.The keys are double bitted with different attacks to the tumblers (similar to MEDECO but with no pins).The locks is made by two diferent cylinders with direct action to the bolts with no handle on the door.When the key is turning locking and unlocking the safe.
    Thanks in advance for any help to solve this mystery!

DR usually means Deutsches Reich - i.e. German Republic or similar. The 7776 is probably a serial number - it's not a patent reference - I checked patent DE 7776 and that's a weaving loom, not a lock.

If it's a double bitted key lock, it may be Kromer, but that would mean post 1870. Angled cuts on lever lock keys arrived later than this however, probably more like 1900.

Comments, Oliver?

Thread Information