Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default dates when Gougler Keyless Lock Co started & WHEN it changed hands to the Miller Co

I am looking for the year that Gougler started production & the year that they sold to Miller. & how long Miller was in production before they closed down...
    Can anyone provide any info. on these 2 company's?.......Donnie

Actually, there were three companies!

My notes show the J. B. Miller Keyless Lock Company, of Kent, Ohio, started in 1888. This was often abbreviated as J.B.M.K.L.

In 1944 or 1945 the company was acquired by Gougler, still of Kent, Ohio. The locks were marketed under the name Gougler Keyless Locks. Around 1965 the company name used in advertising was the C. L. Gougler Machine Company, Lock Division.

Some time in the 1970s, Gougler sold the company to a family named Miller (no relation to the original J. B. Miller) and it continued to operate as the Miller Company and/or Miller Industries, of Columbus (not Kent), Ohio. Locks were marked Miller Keyless Locks. This company went out of business a few years later.

Default dates when Gougler Keyless Lock Co started & WHEN it changed hands to the Miller Co

Thank you WYLK, that is about as close as I think we are going to find..
    I appreciate your effort...........Donnie

Default Dates when Gougler started and changed hands

I have spent the past two days writing a long, detailed story with the history of these companies and their products. Unfortunately, both days' work were lost when they timed out, so I will only hit the highlights this time.

I purchased padlocks, tubular locks, and mortise locks from C.L. Gougler in 1971. My next purchase was in 1977, when it was owned by Miller. By late 1978, they were bankrupt and all assets were auctioned off on January 30, 1979. I was invited to bid and received a detailed list of all assets. These included $40,000 worth of parts and manufacturing equipment, and $30,000 worth of pending orders.

Default Gougler dates etc

I sent you a private message on 12 / 16 / 16 at 10;00 am eastern time

Quote Originally Posted by SwearD View Post
    I have spent the past two days writing a long, detailed story with the history of these companies and their products. Unfortunately, both days' work were lost when they timed out
    By all means, let us know what you know about these companies. I'd like to compare notes with my own history of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    By all means, let us know what you know about these companies. I'd like to compare notes with my own history of them.
    Check out this 50-page MS Word document found on the Internet, Miller/Gougler/Miller Combination Locks, regrettably the author is apparently not indicated: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/jbmgm-locks.doc
    • Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Check out this 50-page MS Word document found on the Internet, Miller/Gougler/Miller Combination Locks, regrettably the author is apparently not indicated: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/jbmgm-locks.doc
    • Pete Schifferli
    I'm the author of that document. I originally wrote it for my own use, to organize the bits and pieces I discovered as I went along. A large part of it is a pictorial catalog of sorts of the varieties that were made, hopefully in chronological order.

That was a lot of information. At least I was able to contribute a few unknowns. As clarification, Miller Industries apparently ceased operation by 11/27/78, as that was the date when the assets were appraised prior to the auction. Sealed bids were actually opened on Feb. 6, 1979. It would be interesting to know how much everything went for. I was unable to bid. There were 3 tons of raw materials alone, which I would have had to have brought to Florida to set up operations. I'll no computer expert, but I will submit some of the paperwork from my files if I can figure out how to do so.

I originally ran into the #40 locks in my Jr. High School locker room in 1963. In regard to the mention of two numbers stamped on many locks, I seem to remember that the number stamped on the shackles corresponded to the locker numbers, so that stray locks could be put back on the right locks.

Default Gougler Keyless Lock Co started & changing hands

David, I have the document that wylk mentioned, printed & in a binder.. I'm sure that you have data that may be missing from his pretty inclusive
    study.. I am VERY interested in getting as much info as you are willing to share...
    I too had trouble with this site timing out on me as I am not a very fast typist
    Perhaps someone on here can help you to use "word" or another program that will allow you to type , save & add to it
    I'm not able to supply that info, but there are others on here that can & would be able to guide you
    I need to send this as I may be up against the limit........big laugh.............one finger typist.............donnie

Thread Information