Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Yale # 8 Key Blank Cross Reference

If the Lock is the Model 850 from 1929, the Catalog cites the Key Blank for the 5 pin tumbler lock as a Yale No. 8.

Not having much luck cross-referencing a Yale No. 8 to a present day Key Blank for Yale or an off-the shelf After-Market Blank, i.e., an ILCO After-Market Blank.

Does anyone have insight as to a readily available Key-Blank and Key Blank Number? Another Fella told me that it would be a Tale "P8", but I can't seem to find.

Thanks Again.

Yale 8 is the common Yale blank. I think it typically is called a Y1 by other key makers. Doug

Yale 8 keyway = Ilco 999 = Y1
    Your lock looks like one of the G keyways, but as I posted on Lockpicking101, I can not make out the 2 letters before the numbers marked on the plug.

Default Y1 Key Pathway

Thanks Jeff... The Key Pathway is a G Series, but the second Letter is hard to read... Based upon the shape of the Key Pathway, I am Guessing the Pathway is "GB" or "GD"

When getting a "Y1" Key Blank, does one have to specify the Pathwayway, i.e., a Y1 with GB or GD Pathway versus the grooves on the "Y1" blanks now being a 1 size fits all???

The common, single section keyway is what Yale refers to as E1R. Others call it the Yale 8 keyway. The common blank designation is Y1. You will see this on residential locks, basic mortise cylinders, and many euro locks.

The lock you have is one of the G sectional keyways. These are GA, GB, etc.

This PDF should help you a bit.

Thread Information