Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yale & Towne Brass Padlock Identification

I found this Yale & Town Brass Padlock in an Old Toolbox that belonged to my Grandfather. It is locked with no key.

I want to Clean it Up and Unlock it wih hopes of having a Key made.

The lock Tumbler # above the keyhole appears to be 255438

• Can anyone identify this lock and WHEN it was made?
    • What is best way to clean? Brasso Cleaner?
    • How to unlock w/o Key?
    • Can a Key be made with reference to number on the lock?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0263.JPG   IMG_0262.JPG   IMG_0264.JPG  

Default Is it a Yale & Towne Model 840?

Is it a Yale & Towne Model 840?

My advice is to answer this question: Is it possible that you want to ever sell this item? If the answer is yes then don't clean it. Cleaning it will destroy some of the value of this lock. If the answer is no then I would go with a chemical dip and then lacquer clear finish cover the key hole while shooting it and use a light coverage pass. Brushing will take more metal off than is needed. Don't try to "Restore" this lock as it is beatup from use. Nice little lock.

Might be a direct code on the bottom. Drop it by a lockshop and have a key made. Make sure you ask for the lock to be impressioned only if the code doesn't work. This way the lock shouldn't be taken apart.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 05-01-14 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks Dean... I don't think I would ever sell (Belonged to Grandfather). I just want to clean a "little bit".

Any idea as to the date and model # of that lock. I am thinking 1940's to late 30's that coincides with Family History.

Hi, Dean is correct, cleaning it will lower it's value in the eyes of most collectors...Looks like it has been apart sometime in it's life...not to worry
    I believe that the last year that the design on the back of your lock was used was 1929, although there has been a recent discussion on that .. cherish it, if it was your grand-pa's.
    I have the first lock that I ever collected...it too is a Yale & I have no key for it
    That was over 40 years ago & it was given to me by a dear friend........Donnie

Default Dating a Yale Padlock

Thanks Donnie..

I keep searching for data on the Yale Logo and History.. Not much Luck

Very EXCELLENT to know or believe that "the last year that the design on the back of your lock was used was 1929, although there has been a recent discussion on that"

Where do you read about the history of the Yale Logo... Is there an on-line resource?

Thanks in advance

I don't know your padlock's size, but I think it's one of those shown below. These pages are from a 1929 Yale catalog.
    I agree that you should not attempt to shine it up. It's ok to clean off some surface dirt and rust, but leave the patina. A little oil applied and then wiped off may enhance its appearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-12-2011_002.JPG   SCAN0104.jpg  

Default Yale Padlock Circa 1929

Mr. Klemm: THANK YOU!!!!!

I will measure and report back...

Default It is the Model 850

The Lock Measures 2 inches wide at the base... Based upon catolog data from 1929, it is a Model 850.

On to the quest for a Key...

Thanks to All!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaneFowler View Post
    Thanks Donnie..

I keep searching for data on the Yale Logo and History.. Not much Luck

Very EXCELLENT to know or believe that "the last year that the design on the back of your lock was used was 1929, although there has been a recent discussion on that"

Where do you read about the history of the Yale Logo... Is there an on-line resource?

Thanks in advance
    Lane,, I haven't found much on line, but I'll admit, I haven't spent a lot of time looking.
    My information on 1929 date has been gathered from other collector's.. & I may have it somewhere in print, but I have no recall as to where to look, so we can wait until someone comes up with a catalog page, if someone does..."till then I will just keep believing that 1929 was the demise of the "trefoil", with a slight bit of doubt...Donnie

Thread Information