Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Identifying Locks

Hello, collectors. My father-in-law recently died, and he left me his antique lock and key collection. Unfortunately, I'm not as enthused about locks as was he, but I would like to be able to identify individual locks. Are there guides that help with this? I'll be liquidating this collection soon, and I want to know fair market value, per his wishes. Thanks for your help!

Yours,

Matthew Thick

Sorry to hear of your loss Mathew. While there is no one resource that will answer all your questions, "The Padlock Collector" by Franklin M. Arnall, 6th edition, is a standard for many lock collectors. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a copy somewhere near his collection. A beige or tan paperback about 1/2 inch thick. It's great for identification and does include prices, however they are outdated and only good for relative comparisons. You could use the book to get some idea if his collection was focusing particular groups, types or styles of padlocks. Which would give you better direction on where to look for more current prices. If you care to post some group pictures, we should be able to offer more info on where to start. Bill

Thanks, Bill. I am sure I saw a copy of this book on his workbench, but I noticed it was outdated. I'll definitely go through it and use it as a benchmark. - Matthew

Always a sad day to hear of a lock collector passing. Maybe in your looking at the locks you might get bitten by the bug. At least keep one or two as a memory to him and put them in a wall hanging case.

Something to keep in mind is to put lesser locks with locks that collectors want. This way you can sell all the locks if you do decide to. Group them in manufacture/style groupings. This way the collectors that go for one style or manufacture are more likely to buy.

Sounds like excellent advice, Dean. Thank you.

Yours,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post
    "The Padlock Collector" by Franklin M. Arnall, 6th edition,
    I've also read about this and indeed it is a great help for lock collectors.

I've just started collection about a year ago. The folks here on this forum have be a great help to me. If you have questions on a specific lock,. please post a picture taken next to a ruler or other way to a good context for size.

As to "fair market value" - that is a very tough one with no simple answer. I've been buying locks/keys on ebay and what I can tell is that the price many lock sell for changes as fast as the wind. You'll maximize the value if you can take a long time liquidating them - observing first the 'going price' and then hold a bit. If you have to sell all at once, you'll not be able to sell each lock to the most "motivated buyer".

I think Tim really states it well here.
    Quote Originally Posted by timof5stars View Post
    You'll maximize the value if you can take a long time liquidating them - observing first the 'going price' and then hold a bit. If you have to sell all at once, you'll not be able to sell each lock to the most "motivated buyer".

Default Identifying Locks

Quote Originally Posted by lucysmith View Post
    I've also read about this and indeed it is a great help for lock collectors.
    Hello all, there is a copy of Frank's book up on Ebay now, in very good condition
    and no, it's not mine.....just alerting anyone interested.........Donnie

Thread Information