Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

richsafe Guest

Default Where could I get combo dials for an old Hall's safe?

Does anyone have an idea where I could get a combination dial assembly for an old Hall's safe?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Where could I get combo dials for an old Hall's safe?

Hard, very hard. Complete locks with dial, ring & spindle are very hard to find because the safe door usually requries delaminating to get them out, as a consequence there are many more lock bodies than dial assemblies available. You could try watching ebay, but I have never seen one on there.

Another major problem is the variation on these locks, there is a lot of hand finishing in such locks, as a result even if you were to find one the chances are it would not work without modification.

Your best best would probably be to fabricate one from scratch ..

richsafe Guest

Thank you for the advice and help. I just missed some on ebay that were close to what I needed, I probably won't get another chance like that anytime soon. What about an after market elctronic lock ? Could it be retrofitted ? If you have any other Idea's or sources please let me know. I'd like very much to get this safe restored and working again.
    Have a great day!
    RIck

Retrofit is easy, do you have any pictures of the locks at present on the door ? With such I may be able to advise further.

Here's the pictures. Just for info even though I allow pictures to be uploaded they do require some processing 1st to reduce the size & weight, otherwise the server would die under the load :lol:

Note clicking on each picture will open a higher resolution version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alhalls1.jpg   alhalls2.jpg   alhalls3.jpg  

Now that your pictures are available ..

A correction, you are seeking a wheel pack - not a dial assembly. You have even less chance of finding one of those to suit your lock. And fabricating one would be next to impossible + exceedingly expensive.

I have a complete lock in my collection and will post pictures over the weekend.

Your best bet will be a retrofit with a modern lock, a problem may occur simply getting the lock spindle out of the door as sometimes the spindles are of an anti-burglar design and the door needs to be delaminated to remove it. Drilling a new hole through the door for the cable for a modern lock may also be problematic as the steel etc in the door is designed to resist such drilling and requires special tools & techniques to do so.

I would strongly advise getting a professional to look at this job, if you advise your location I will see if I can recommend anyone.

My lock.

Here is a quick picture of the lock I have, shown with the wheel pack in situ. I thought I have complete teardown photo's but can't find them at the moment. If I can't locate them I'll take some more over the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00447.JPG  

richsafe Guest

Well I have definately come to the right place for help with this. Thank you so much for taking the time to get this information to me, and posting the pictures. I am in south west Michigan. Now that I know it is a Hall's for sure I'll re-try my local resources. Any referal idea's you may have would be appreciated as well. I would like to restore the original locking mechanism if possible, but if I am unable to, I'll go with the retrofit. I'll send in some more detailed photo's of the locking mechanism when I get the chance.

I am not familiar with what the term delaminate means. Could you explain it to me please?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by richsafe
    I am not familiar with what the term delaminate means. Could you explain it to me please?

Rick
    Basically the doors of these safes are made of a series of steel plates, in layers, each screwed to the one underneath. The problem is that the drive spindle for the lock varies in size along it's length, and consequently the hole on each plate it passes through is a different size to suit that particular point along the spindle length. The idea (and it works) is to stop the removal of the spindle and the introduction of explosives into the lock / door.

The problem is poses for you is that the only way to get the spindle out intact is to tear down the entire door (don't even go there !)

Personally I would leave the spindle where it is as retrofit elsewhere on the safe, or cut the ends of the spindle. Either way you need to drill a new hole through the door for the wire for a retrofit. That may be easy - there again it may not, depends on the quality of the safe and degree of armour steel used in the door.

I hae seen the wheelpack on ebay-but really not often
    Cheers
    Tom

Thread Information