Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Dating of Corbin DF11 or DF4 used in a desk drawer

I have some folks planning an estate sale for my parents belongs and just wanted to be sure a antique furniture piece was given reasonable consideration to its uniqueness. It is an antique executive conference table acquired from Union Station railroad station in Chicago when they remodeled. My Dad worked at that location in the 70s.With no furniture manuafacture markings, the Corbin DF11 and DF4 locks on the drawers may be the only dating clue. I did look at the posted Cornin-Russkin pdf on keys and keyways...but could not make a linkage.Any thoughts on the date of the locks would be appreciated.Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by gnkes View Post
    I have some folks planning an estate sale for my parents belongs and just wanted to be sure a antique furniture piece was given reasonable consideration to its uniqueness. It is an antique executive conference table acquired from Union Station railroad station in Chicago when they remodeled. My Dad worked at that location in the 70s.With no furniture manuafacture markings, the Corbin DF11 and DF4 locks on the drawers may be the only dating clue. I did look at the posted Cornin-Russkin pdf on keys and keyways...but could not make a linkage.Any thoughts on the date of the locks would be appreciated.Gordon
    Those are apparently Corbin Cabinet Lock key codes, an image of the keys might be helpful in approximating the age, likely flat steel keys? Not found in my code program.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Those are apparently Corbin Cabinet Lock key codes, an image of the keys might be helpful in approximating the age, likely flat steel keys? Not found in my code program.Pete Schifferli
    I do not have either keys. The DF stamps were on the lock itself viewable from inside the drawer. Using your identification of Corbin Cabinet Lock, I was able to find a old ebay listing for a DF11. Does the link below help?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CORB...p2047675.l2557

Quote Originally Posted by gnkes View Post
    I do not have either keys. The DF stamps were on the lock itself viewable from inside the drawer. Using your identification of Corbin Cabinet Lock, I was able to find a old ebay listing for a DF11. Does the link below help?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CORB...p2047675.l2557
    It is difficult to put a date on those flat steel keys from Corbin Cabinet Lock which were popular from about 1920s-1970s. Corbin Cabinet Lock was a sister company to P & F Corbin and Russell & Erwin, those brands were merged into Corbin Russwin in 1993. In 1987 Corbin Cabinet Lock was sold to Eastern Corp. and the successor company, CCL Security Hardware is still in business today; but flat steel key cabinet locks such as yours have been discontinued for decades. Hope this helps a little.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $T2eC16J,!w4FIZwtYmevBSQ6-+4GcQ~~60_35.JPG  

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    It is difficult to put a date on those flat steel keys from Corbin Cabinet Lock which were popular from about 1920s-1970s. Corbin Cabinet Lock was a sister company to P & F Corbin and Russell & Erwin, those brands were merged into Corbin Russwin in 1993. In 1987 Corbin Cabinet Lock was sold to Eastern Corp. and the successor company, CCL Security Hardware is still in business today; but flat steel key cabinet locks such as yours have been discontinued for decades. Hope this helps a little.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks! The information is very helpful. Using this information, the furniture construction, and stain, I can safely date range the piece between 1920 and 1940.

Thread Information