Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: 12 Inch key

Default 12 Inch key

Hello all, I'm a new member to this forum & look forward to exchanging posts with you all.

Thought I'd kickstart my membership with showing you this key, the largest in my collection at 12 inches. I must confess I know little about this hobby so I can't say if this is a decorative item or a proper key. Perhaps someone here knows?

I'll share more of my collection later.

Bye for now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant-Key.JPG  

Default Re: 12 Inch key

It's a decorative item only. Proper keys that size are very rare.

Thanks for the reply. Can't say I'm that surprised, never mind its still a nice item. Out of interest is there any way to tell a 'proper' key from an ornament?

Well here's the next item in my collection...its my favourite key - 7 inches with a wonderful patina (right word...I don't know :? :lol: ). Any clue how old this might be or where it might have been used?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key02.JPG  

Experience of keys and mechanisms will normally make it clear what is decorative and what is functional.
    Although your 2nd key is probably a british cast iron one which has been made like that for 150 years, I have brand new blanks and "precast keys" that are little different. The locks have been available new until quite recently and the keys still are. I have the pattern makers lead patterns. The turned ornamentation means that it is unlikely to be particularly new but you could see that from the patina. Used on large locks on large doors ie farms, castles, churches....

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock
    It's a decorative item only. Proper keys that size are very rare.
    Is there some way to determine the decorative from the rare? I mean could this be a real key?

No
    Understand the function of every part of a key and you will understand whether the key has functional bits or merely pretty bits
    Cheers
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon
    No
    Understand the function of every part of a key and you will understand whether the key has functional bits or merely pretty bits
    Cheers
    Tom
    :? Not sure I get that...care to expand?

The different parts of the key are formed to suit specific purposes within the lock. When you understand why each part is fashioned like that then you can tell whether the key was cut to work a lock or whether the combination of different variations on the key seem odd and lacking realistic function.

OK, I certainly get that each bit of the key has a job to do - I just don't see what part of this key looks 'wrong'. I'm guessing, but your replies seem to imply that you're seeing something about the key that I don't & to clear up that niggle would you mind explaining what makes you believe the key is decorative (I'm not questioning if you are right or not but I'd like to understand how you reached that conclusion). Its an interesting point, to me anyway, and possibly to others viewing this topic. :)

Things like:
    the key is not cut-it is cast complete with the pretty bits
    the bearing where the case touches is tapered near the end of the key
    the collar face is not flat (another bearing)
    the "cuts" are shaped in an unlikely manner and not cleaned out
    to be both fancy and a real key would be uncommon unless it was incredibly special -they are normally functional objects

Thread Information