Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Question about unique Yale Junior padlock with lever tumbler type keyway.

Hello everyone,

I need some help identifying what type of key mechanism this lock has and how it functions. Perhaps someone has technical information that can help me pick it and make a key.

In some pictures the lever in the keyway can be seen turned 45 degrees or so. The lever resembles the discs in a disc retainer lock and rotates 90 degrees. In this lock there appears to be just one. The cylinder seems to be tensioned from the bottom by a groove that is divided in the middle. A photo of what I believe is the key blank is attached.

Thank you,
    Rick Guenther
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails keyway1.jpg   keyway2.jpg   keyway3.jpg   keyway4.jpg   yale1.jpg  

yale2.jpg   yale3.jpg   yale4.jpg   yale5.jpg   Yale Jr key blank.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
    Hello everyone,

I need some help identifying what type of key mechanism this lock has and how it functions. Perhaps someone has technical information that can help me pick it and make a key.

In some pictures the lever in the keyway can be seen turned 45 degrees or so. The lever resembles the discs in a disc retainer lock and rotates 90 degrees. In this lock there appears to be just one. The cylinder seems to be tensioned from the bottom by a groove that is divided in the middle. A photo of what I believe is the key blank is attached.
    It looks like a standard disc tumbler to me. The plug location implies that it is heel locking and the plug is probably under pressure. Try pushing in on the shackle when picking and it should relieve some pressure from the bolt. There does seem to be a code on the lock face but it is hard to tell from the photo's if it is 91 or 16. I also see a faint indication of a third number in photo 3 and that number if there could be a 2 or a 7 depending upon which side is up it could make the code be 791 or 162.
    BBE.

Default Question about unique Yale Junior padlock with lever tumbler type keywa

BBE is correct. It is a disc tumbler padlock. Your last picture of the key is for a warded mechanism. I have included a page from a Yale catalog showing your padlock and its key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCAN0099-1.jpg  

I was also going to say disc tumbler or lets say "wafer lock type".

Sorry that I am late for the party Rick

Yep, Going with BBE on this (Like I would question him on this, LOL) Keys can be had at almost any good locksmith shop. Possible keyways include Y11, Y12, Y13, Y14, Y103, ect... ect... to about 30 common keyways that they had for those locks. If trying to find it in the key catalogs use the key cross section part of the image like found at the bottom of the picture you posted and also look in North American Lock makers under Yale.

Thread Information