Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another novice

Question Another novice

Greeting from down under. I have recently become the proud owner of an oldish Chubb Safe. Luckily it has survived with a full set of 8 keys and all locks are functional. I am looking to get 4 keys cut to give me a second full set plus a couple of extras for the door. Sounds simple to the novice but so far my locksmith has not been able to source Blanks close enough to achive this. Any wisdom on how best to proceed and best guess on age , model number or name of this lovely old lump would be greatly appreciated. Ps the small child was not there when I opened the safe nor "sigh" when I closed it again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe.jpg   Safe2.JPG   keys.jpg   keys2.jpg  

Sounds like the locksmith isn't trying very hard as it should not be a problem. Where are you located (roughly) and I'll try and suggest someone with more experience in such matters.

Producing a key out of metal stock, wouldnt even be a real challenge, considering you have all the functioning keys to take measurements off of. The locksmiths in my area are (kinda)lazy too! So I became one! Albeit, I dont have much experience with Chubb locks. If this were my safe, and I had the keys, Id be careful about sending them off to someone far from you. You never know what can happen in life, and it would be shameful to lose these keys. Best of luck to you.

I am very sure oldlock will be able to help you out spencey

If you do have to send the keys by mail make sure you leave the Safe unlocked.

Default The key to sucess

Thanks Oldlocks, I'm In Brisbane Queensland, and would certainly appreciate any lead you can give me. I was a bit surprised that he can't find the right blanks. I won't say Lazy in case he reads this forum, that might put the price up! Sage advise on sending keys away, I hope I don't have to. If I can identify and source the blanks it should be problem solved. Any one prepared to hazard a guess on year or model? Thanks to all for your interest.

Find the serial No. it should be on the one of the bolts usually the centre one, or door edge. One of us should be able to give you the age from that.

For keys talk to Guy Parker :

networklocksmiths.com.au

He's in Brissie but I'm sure where these days.

Welcome to the forum.

If Guy is too busy, give me a ring on 0458 128 858 after I get back on the 28th January 2014.

Guy is in Eagle Farm and I am in Bellbowrie, but I am mobile using Albion as my base and also work training locksmith apprentices at Skills Tech Australia TAFE Qld in Kingsford Smith Drive Eagle Farm.

Thumbs up Wow thanks

The Serial is 47716 on the end of the centre bolt. Right where Ian said.

And thanks to Oldlock for Guys number.
    Cliff I will be in contact when you get back.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

Thread Information