Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Eagle Telephone Dial Lock - Age?

Hello everyone,

I was recently able to acquire another telephone dial lock and you all know how crazy I am about these
    The oldest one I have is still the Zeiss Ikon that is as old as the 30s. I was wondering if this one is newer or maybe of the same age? The lock is featuring 4 pins and a quite restrictive keyway, it is not as nicely machined as the Zeiss Ikon but has its own charm.

If anyone has a print of an old or antique catalogue I would be most thankful!

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock.JPG   001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock (2).JPG   001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock (3).JPG   001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock (4).JPG   001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock (5).JPG  

001.Eagle Vintage Dial Lock (6).JPG  

Default Eagle Telephone Dial Lock-Age

That a nice lock you got there. Didn't know it went that far back in year. I have one that Corbin made one it smaller than the one you has there. I know it not that old....Timothy....

That's cool Adrian- I had no idea they were made as far back as that- I've got one somewhere but it's 1970s or 80s from what I can remember- I'll see if I can find it

PS- my kids still have a laugh at the 80s and 90s electronic push-button phones before everything went wireless. I can only imagine what they'd think of an old dial-up with a solid bronze lock to stop them phoning their friends

Yeah they are pretty fascinating!

I am not sure if I ever posted the pictures of my antique Zeiss Ikon dial lock. I had 40 of the newer ones from the 70s in original package, there are still 20 of them left. I have one very old version which is probably from the 30s, here is a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLDJje_n2Vs

It is a very rare piece and I have only seen it twice so far. Here is the one from the Zeiss Ikon Lock Museum:
    http://www.zeiss-ikon-schlossmuseum....ss_sl_368.html

I believe that mine may be a bit older because it can be taken apart.

Cool stuff Adrian- Zeiss Ikon- now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Were they taken over by Dom or linked in some way- seem to remember something like that. We used to see a lot of their cam-locks- they put all others to shame! Beautifully made in solid brass with mushroom pins and bright chrome plating they were in a different league to all the die-cast disc-tumbler rubbish that was the norm

They have been taken over by Assa Abloy and now run under the name "Zeiss Ikon - Assa Abloy"

Still no date on the lock? Does nobody here have an old Eagle catalog?

Thread Information